Overclocking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
Hey I recently got some money able to spend on my computer and I have decided among other things to get some AS5, and probably a zalman 9500 or 9700 to start OCing my CPU more.

My question though has to deal with overclocking past my 2.4ghz. I know for a fact that the e6400 (stock 2.13ghz) can get well over 3.2Ghz, my goal is roughly 2.8ghz. so like 350x8. It currently is 300x8 with stock voltage (1.325)

Right now stable I am 300x8 with 450MHz Ram, when I lower the divider down from 800 to 667 its at 300x8 with 375Mhz.

When I had 1GB of ram, I got it to 320x8 2.56ghz without any problems with the same voltage. Now that I got my 2nd gig of ram which is the same EXACT ram, I can only go 300x8 before I get startup problems. When I try 305, I lowered ram divider so it doesnt go past 450, and It boots but I get blue screen physical memory dump, things like that. Would that be a memory problem or not enough CPU voltage? My ram is at 2.0V and when I incremented the CPU voltage to the next thing I still would get the memory dump. I am not sure how much you are suppose to increment CPU voltage, but in my Bios it goes from 1.325 to like 1.3375 I believe.

Also when I try to do the same 320x8 I had before I got the 2nd stick, windows wont even boot up, my computer restarts, and the BIOS automatically goes back to default 266x8.

Any help is appreciated, I am just not sure if it's memory, CPU voltage, or whatever. I just want to be ready to get it higher when I get my zalman/AS5. I hope I described my problem well, I felt like I just kept rambling :p

Thanks
Higach

Set the RAM Ratio as 1 to 1 (And though we say 1to1 its really HALF the Final Front side Bus), set the memory Voltage as 2.1 volts.

Set CPU to 8X400, Vcore to 1.35.

Try that. Thats fort 3.2 Ghz and Memory will be running at it's rated speed.

Then do some stress testing with prime 95 or StressCPU2

well the only way I can change what the ram divider is is changing the speed in an option that is:

Auto
533Mhz
667Mhz
800Mhz

Auto usually never works, so I take it set it to 533Mhz So I get around 400-450Mhz on the Ram if I have it at 400x8?

Thats some odd settings.

try 800 Mhz, because that is its designed speed.

Then set the CPU to 8X400.

Oh, your motherboard ain't too great for overclocking, so I could see why you only wanted 2.8 .

Well the thing is when I put it at 800, its a 2:3 ratio at least from 266 -> 320. Because at 266x8 my ram would be at 400Mhz, at 300x8 my ram goes to 450mhz, and at 320x8 my ram was at 480Mhz

When I lower it from 800 setting to 667, it lowers to a 4:5 ratio instead of 2:3, and when I go to 533, it may be 1:1 not sure havent done it.

Yeah I just checked, 533 setting is 1:1

Well this is what I did, I put ram voltage to 2.1, tried 4:5 and 1:1, went from 300x8 to 305/310x8, loads up windows then memory dumps.

I also tried: 400x8, 2.1V memory, 1:1, 1.35V CPU, I start computer, it beeps twice, restarts, all overclocks reset.

It does that also when I tried 312x8, 2.1V memory, 1.35V CPU, and Auto setting for memory divider.

Any idea what the *beeeeeep* *beeeeeep* restart means vs. the blue screen memory dump?

And does this also mean 2.4 is as high as my motherboard will allow? >< Also do you think updating BIOS would do anything? I don't think I have ever done that.

Also would ram timings cause these problems? I have all of them set to auto, but I am not sure if that is actually working.

EDIT:

Ok this guy has the same mobo as me, with the e6300 Biostar TForce 965PT Testing - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum! and he has his at like 530x7, so I know its possible to OC high with my Mobo. I have the BIOSTAR Tforce 965PT.

I just tried a couple more things, increased basically all the voltages (CPU, FSB Termination, (G)MCH) Still gets to windows and memory dumps.. this is what my BIOS OC looks like VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum! - View Single Post - Biostar TForce 965PT Testing

Now could it be my ram? I dont understand what would cause the problem, I have 2 sticks of these: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
I have tried 2.0v and 2.1v, but with the divider 310x8 should have them only at 388Mhz which is below what they are now, so what would cause that kind of memory dump?

Any help is appreciated >< My zalman9500 will be here monday or tuesday and I really wanna crank this to at least 2.8 if not 3.2ghz

Still curious btw.. trying to figure out what's going on. Ive posted this on another forum as well but still nobody able to help me >< Wondering if it could be PSU or Ram related.

i am still trying to figure out whats the difference between the blue screen memory dump and the 2 beep restart, and if it has any significance.

Also I tried this:

320x8, 1.4v CPU, 1.4v FSB Termination, 1.45v (G)MCH, 4:5 divider so 400Mhz, 2.1v Ram

I get two beeps, restart, all overclocks reset back to default.

very frustrating, hope I can get this down when my zalman comes.. really want this at 2.8-3.2ghz

The thing with voltages is that you only want to add more when you need to. That being said, make sure your not moving too quickly, many new comers get too caught up and cranking the voltages if something is not working.

You keep talking about the new heatsink, but you only need to worry about tempartures if you are exceeding 60 to 65C Ish at max load..

Have you tried contacting the guy at the other forum with the same motherboard? maybe he can help you more than we.

You keep talking about the new heatsink, but you only need to worry about tempartures if you are exceeding 60 to 65C Ish at max load..

I am around 65C on stock cooling and stock voltages, around 50C idle. My point is, before I exceed 2.4 I want something that will be able to keep it a lot cooler than stock.

Have you tried contacting the guy at the other forum with the same motherboard? maybe he can help you more than we.

The post is over a year old, but I might as well give it a shot, see if hes still an active member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom