8800GT Non-effective Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmoose

Baseband Member
Following the reviews concerning the superiority of the 8800GT to the 8800GTS (especially in the game Crysis), I immediately traded in my recently purchased GTS for a GT. I've benchmarked in Crysis now and can say firmly without a doubt that my results are essentially the very same, give or take a few FPS.

I'm running a Dual Core Athlon 4400+ and 2 GB of RAM.

Shouldn't I be seeing a performance increase?

Which version of GTS did you have? I sure hope it wasn't the 512MB version because you would've been trading down! :eek:

If it was the 640MB or 320MB, you should see a pretty significant increase in performance on high settings.. if you don't, there could be a number of issues, driver, cpu bottleneck, lack of power being supplied by psu, etc.

Benchmarks may or may not give a proper perspective on various games... it gives an overall "score" of a card. What will determine performance is the game itself... I.E. before I got my 8800GTS I have a 7900GT. when I played oblivion I tried to max it out and could not... when I put in the GTS I still couldn't max it out, but I could set the over all setting of the game higher and not have any lag.

The game doesn't feel like it's running much smoother overall either. And it was a 640MB GTS before.

How horribly disappointing.

Well then I'm screwed because it's the best that my motherboard can support, other than a 4600+. What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to running Crysis well. On the places of low framerate there doesn't seem to be much difference between high and medium settings, so I reckon it is the CPU.

Wait a second... If I had cancelled my step-up and replaced it with a step-up order for the 512 MB GTS I still could have gotten the new card for free since it's still less than I originally paid. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom