Startup Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fooleh

Beta member
Hey guys, hope you can make more sense of this than I can.

I recently installed some 800mhz ram in my motherboard (Foxconn 955X7aa-8EKRS2) which happens to only support 533/667mhz ram types. I immediately removed the 800mhz ram but left in my 667mhz ram that was already installed. Ever since this, my boot-up sequence goes in this order:

1) This only happens if the computer has been off for more than 10 minutes. It boots up to the windows loading screen, gets about half way through, then shuts down.
2) If I try to turn the computer back on after the first failure without waiting more than 10 minutes, it will live for about 15-20 seconds before it turns off again.
3) The computer will shut down within 5-10 seconds if I keep trying after the second attempt at turning it on.

However, there are anomalies here. I got lucky enough to enter into my BIOS configuration screen and change the boot sequence from Hard Drive to CD-ROM and then boot up the windows installation CD. I managed to format my drive and reinstall windows, but before the installation was completed, I got an error saying it couldn't write to my drive. I've tried to recreate this but the computer refuses to stay alive long enough to actually boot from a CD.

Another weird thing I'm getting is the single bleep from my motherboard which indicates that it is operating condition. However, I cant even boot from a CD so the single "I'm OK" bleep contradicts its seemingly unstable nature.

In conclusion: My head hurts and I would love some help, so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to throw them this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom