120mm Fans - Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
So far I've gone through a lot of 120mm fans looking to see what might be good. I have 4 open slots for my 120's on the side panel and 1 open slot on the roof. I plan to buy 5 fans. (I'll run them low or have a few off until needed) I plan to overclock as much as I can so I'm getting ready for it using only air no water cooling. Here's what I've chosen so far. If you have a recommendation that isn't below let me know as I'd love to hear that too.

System Specs:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/rate-my-pc-scale-1-10-comment-159462/
(I have a 500GB Seagate 7200.11 and a Corsair 620W instead)

Newegg.com - VANTEC TF12025 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING AF12025 PWM 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - ENERMAX UC-12EB 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - APEVIA CF12SL-URED 120mm Red LED Case Fan - Retail
Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail

that silverstone might throw you off a bit(with it's controller)...but I don't know how you actually want your case.

get 2 scythes....and other others up to you :D

the enermax sound interesting...maybe make the rest 3 enermax?

all good choices though. I'm sure you know and are taking into account noise levels, cfm, and the rpm stats?

I run the 1600rpm scythes as exhaust and 1200 rpm scythes as intake. I like to have a negative flow in the case so that it pulls air in the side panel over the video cards.

I run the 1600rpm scythes as exhaust and 1200 rpm scythes as intake. I like to have a negative flow in the case so that it pulls air in the side panel over the video cards.
I didn't even think about an exaust. I figured since my case is almost all vents it'd be fine. Should I put one or two as an exaust?

On another note I just ran Guitar Hero III on full settings. My CPU went up to 59 degrees at its highest. (About 7 degrees higher)

The fan closet to the CPU cooler should be your exhaust since that is the largest heat producer. If you have a side fan, it should be an intake to blow across the GPU. Front and side fans should be intake. Top and back should be exhaust.

The fan closet to the CPU cooler should be your exhaust since that is the largest heat producer. If you have a side fan, it should be an intake to blow across the GPU. Front and side fans should be intake. Top and back should be exhaust.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I was going to put one of the powerful fans on the top. Should I keep a powerful fan up top as an exhaust or one of my weaker ones for exaust?

That is up to you. Sometimes trial and error works here. Try different fans in different locations for the lowest overall case/cpu temp. I would say that a weaker one on top tho since heat rises. Also depends on which way you have your CPU cooler exhausting. If it exhausts to the back, then put the more powerful fan on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom