help with computer table please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyDahlia

Beta member
10 years ago my parents bought a new HP Pavilion 4455. 6G hd, 64Mb RAM, and celeron 2 processor. they JUST got a new computer after having the tank for 10 years and while i was in the military they managed to get XP on it somehow and it surprisingly isn't that slow now that i've deleted pretty much everything but the OS and a couple bs little programs like paint and wordpad just to fool around with because i'm too much of a pack rat to get rid of it, espescially since it's still actually working.

so i decided to make a working table out of it.

i need to take everything out of the tower (which is only 12" tall by the way, kinda cute haha) and lay it out on a sheet of plexiglass so it will pretty much look like a living schematic. you know, everything evenly spaced apart and nice and neat and such.

which brings me to the question of how in the **** do i hook it back up? i'm very mechanical and i know how to use cpus and i know how to solder, but i've never had a reason to work on a computer (don't ask why, just take it for truth) so i don't know how everything is going to look in the end, and also, i'm going to have to lengthen almost all the wires.

can anyone give me some advice on how to turn this thing into a table?

(there's going to be a flatscreen monitor in the middle of the table as well)

ugh, not quite sure what you are going to end up with ;)

but if you want to take out the innards, mod the case and put the stuff back in, that part is simple...provided you maintain the foundation of how the mobo is installed. That is the most crucial part of the whole thing.

got a sketch of what you are thinking of? how about uploading it to imageshack or something for us to look at? :D

Basically he just wants the computer parts mounted to a table with a plexiglass top. They had one of these at the school i worked for. Basically just figure out how big the plexi needs to be, then you assemble the computer on the table, and put the plexi over it.

You are not going to solder anything, that's the first lesson, second, you will hook it up exactly like it was when the components were in the case. Computer building is covered in tons of other threads. The hard part will be mounting the guts to the plexiglass. Personally, I would just mount the monitor to the Plexiglas and just leave the components in the case, you can just shove the computer tower under the table.

after reading it again i realize i was a little vague in my description.

the idea was to kind of make a work of art out of it, i was hoping to be able to lengthen all the wires and cable and such so i could lay them out in perfectly strait, parallel lines so it would kind of look like the computer version of Body World (that guy that made art out of dead bodies)

i've never worked on a computer before because the one i'm talking about is all i've ever had so obviously there was no hope anyway, so if it's just not going to happen i'll just do it without worrying about making it actually work as a computer

ah...I guess in a simpler sense you can just study up on the limitations of cable length and signal degradation. But I'm sure you don't care about highest throughputs and all, so go crazy.

you can lengthen as you want, limited or not by the psu cabling. I say limited because you may know how to disassemble a psu, and redo cabling from the inside and not y crimp extensions from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom