Pqi Ram Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3alif3

Beta member
Hi, I'm new to these forums, but I'm in need of advise on what to do...

I currently am running on a Dell XPS 400 XPSP2.

Specs: Processor: dual-core Pentium D 940 processor running at 3.2GHz RAM installed: 1 GB DDR II SDRAM; Hard drive: 160 GB Standard

I just purchased a PC2-5400 1GB Single channel. The problem was after I installed the RAM along with my stock sticks I could run my PC for about 15-30 minutes no problem. Everything goes smooth and then all of a sudden I will get a BSOD error. I've tried switching slots, but with my luck found no avail in fixing the problem. One thing I did notice is that when I remove the 5400 stick it is a bit hot. Could these BSOD issues be because of my PSU not being high enough? (375w) Or is it just because my motherboard dosn't support this stick?

the psu might actually be fine, not sure what else you have in your system...but aside from the chip being hot. How is your case cooling? Do your other chips have heat spreaders? It could just be that adding the additional chip raises your system pass a stable thermal level...hence the crashing

if the ram is pc2 and 240 pin, all should be compatible, just defaulting to whatever ram is slowest.

It could be the case of insufficient psu based on the needed for added airflow/cooling, ie., you need some additional fans and the base line psu will then become insufficient

My case cooling is alright, just the other day I had to take out the PSU fan though and give her a good clean down, as far as the other chips having heat spreaders the answer is no. This 5400 has head spreaders but my stock ram sticks do not. I have a total of 2 fans, but both are stock from the Dell company. Yes the stick is pc2 and 240 pin, so I don't think it's the stick anymore that's incompatible. I'm guessing it's my powersupply now since I must say a few days ago it was winding out really loudly until I had to take apart the fan and dust it off a bit :freak: As of now the winding of the fan isn't as loud as before, but it's starting to get there again.

Ok so I went out and got a new power supply (450w Antec) I love it so far, super quite seems to be running well, but when I tried placing the 5200 stick back in I get BSOD before hitting the windows login screen. Any ideas? Also got a new cooling system for the unit so I don't think it's that anymore..

----EDIT----

Just placed the original 512 sticks in the furtherest slots towards the processor and then placed the 1 gig on the second from last slot. So far everything seems good so I think it finally downclocked correctly.. will report if crashes again.

Experienced my first BSOD running Windows after a clean install (Instigated by the infamous N4_Disp.dll BSOD error...) After 1 1/2 hour running with the new power source and cooling system (Also made by Antec) I came face to face with the ugly dragon itself... BSOD- Memory Management error. Any suggestions to slay this dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom