Need help with computer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoyaxc07

Beta member
I want to upgrade my computer, nothing crazy, just enough to hold me over when I build a whole new one in 6 months or so.

Here is what I have now:

ASRock k7vt6 mobo
amd sempron 2400+
6600gt
1 gig of ram

Unfortunately my mobo is socket A(462) so the best processor I can get is an Athlon XP 3200+. I have a few more options for a video card but it's still AGP. While perusing ebay I found this new motherboard and cpu for a very good. I've never heard of this brand before. Socket 754 is a bit of an unsupported cpu type but there are 64bit processors out there. It also comes with pci-express. Would my current parts carry over(ram, hard drive, etc.)? Would buy this and a new graphics card be a better investment then a new processor and agp card? The motherboard is micro ATX, is that a problem?

Any help is appreciated,

Mike

Those old parts are truthfully, not worth spending a whole lot on for upgrading. I would save your money and build a new system. if you could find a better AGP card and Sempron then it might hold you off... but to buy a whole new mobo/cpu combo that is outdated to me is a waste.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

Thanks for the help. I still plan on buying a new processor and agp card. I know that there are are some desent AGP cards out but I have no idea which ones are the best.

Thanks for the help. The 7600 looks like a pretty good deal. There are several 3200+ and 3000+ Athlon XPs on ebay for pretty cheap(newegg no longer sells them). I'm assuming that purchasing a used one is a bad idea? I need a new powersupply regardless because the one I have now is about to die, push it hard enough and the computer will crash. I've heard horror stories from cheap-o powersupplies, are there any out there that you would recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom