9800 Pro upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggdaddy

Baseband Member
Any of you guys ever upgrade your 9800 pro to the XT? Just did it last night.

Killer performance boost. I just got a 900 point in the butt just from the bios upgrade alone.

I was scoring something in the range of 6081 on relaxed settings before the bios and last night, 3dmark03 benched at 6971 after the 9800XT bios upgrade.

I still have a few other things I can do to get it higher.

:D

There's a site I went to that helped me verify mine. I don't have access to it right now, but will post later if some doesn't beat me to it. :)

There are some cheaply made 9800 pro's with cheap memory. If you get a ATI or Sapphire, most likely you can do the upgrade.

Not to all Raden 9800 Pro's... just the 9800 Pro's that have 256MB memory, i.e. using DDRII memory.

I cannot do it to my Sapphire 128MB 9800 Pro.

Edit: Its not cheap memory, just a different model... DDR has lower CAS latencies than DDRII but DDRII has higher clock frequencies.

So when I buy a Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256mb memory I can overclock to XT performance from a BIOS upgrade/thing? I assume that isn't difficult, correct?

You might want to upgrade your heatsink and fan before you upgrade the bios. I noticed before I did the upgrade, I played around with overclocking the video memory and vpu and the memory started to give me artifacts just from a minor 5Mhz increase. The XT bios is going to kick your memory speed up 10Mhz I think. VPU overclocks real easy with the standard HSF.

I installed the Zalman 80d video cooler before I did the bios. It comes with memory heat sinks. Works well. :D

Okay I am confused - my friend has a Sapphire 9800 Pro (128MB) and he said hes done it to his and he said I wouldn't be able to do it to the one I am planning to buy because it all depends on the RAM.

I am planning on buying this one:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800proatl.asp
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html - scroll down and find this product (Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Lite Retail (GX-017-SP) )

Will I be able to flash mod that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom