What more can I do to increase boot up times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qk232

Baseband Member
It usually takes ~2 mins and a few seconds from the time I press the power button to the time the login screen is fully shown. I have no viruses, defragged, ran ccleaner, adjusted the HD to the first boot device, and removed any unnecessary startup processes through msconfig (not to mention read the make XP fast sticky and some other threads)

I have Vista running Aero, with my machine having the specs specified in my sig. My computer runs fine when I'm booted up but I hate having to wait so long for it to boot up. What suggestions do you have for lowering the boot up time? I do have around 20-30 programs installed that I use...this could be most of the problem, but I'm just trying to diagnose the problem so that I can fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, I know that if you go into Bios and disable the energy star logo you can save a couple of seconds, not sure where I heard that from though.

Some HDD have options also for quiet or perfornace mode and also there should be an option in your bios for Fast Boot. Virus protection programs are usually a main culprit in slowing the boot sequence down.

I think you mean you want to decrease boot times lol.

Anyway, booting is pretty much dependent on the hard drive speed. There's not much you can do other than:

-Buy a really fast hard drive solely for your operating system
-Buy 2 cheaper fast drives and set them up in RAID 0 and run your operating system on that
-Never shut down :p
-Send computer to sleep rather than shutting down

Or, you could buy a 2 or 4gb fast usb thumbdrive, though it will only shave a second or 2 at most off the boot time.

You can also limit the things that start-up automatically. Press windows+R (run) and type msconfig...take a screenshot of all the things in the startup tab and we'll tell you what you can turn off (less programs starting up means faster boot times, obviously)

yea i found it very annoying when i went to task manager i had like 40 programs running which i never needed, used. i always turn them off manually everytime id turn on the pc, tis annoying ;p

You can just disable all of those services from starting up ever. My boot time is alot shorter than 2 minutes lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom