*How much* Stress Testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
High, I just rebuilt my rig inside my CM Stacker 830 SE with all Apevia 120mms and it runs really cool now :). At 1.300v and at 333x9, it idles at 30C. I stressed it in Prime 95 for 15 minutes and got 7 tests done with no errors and no warnings, with both cores at 42C. I'm ready to OC further I believe. But just how much stress testing do I have to do to see if it's stable or not? I'd certainly hate to stress test for eight hours straight just to see if I'm stable after I OC'd marginally more. So how much is enough?

I've got one more question? This is just a confirmation, but is the default memory voltage for my DS3-965p 1.8v? I think I saw it somewhere, but I forgot where. I'm just making sure because in the BIOS, it doesn't show me what my memory voltage actually is. All it gives are options to raise it, like "+.1v", "+.2v" ect. Thanks.

15 mins is nothing...
you wanna stress test for about 8-12 hours...if no erros and the temps arent exceding 65-70, then your good.

im not sure about your ram though.

Ok so I guess I'll work my way up to the speed I want, then do a big 12 hour stress test. Thanks.

you have an e6600. Then just use the general clock ceiling of others as your basis. Run the test for 30 minutes. You don't have to go 8 hours after every increase of 5-10mhz. I say set it to 3.2ghz run the test for a half hour and if it passes go up farther. Then test it for another half hour.

After it fails the 30 minute tests start raising the voltage. Once you think you have maxed out then start the 8 hour tests to achieve your 24/7 clock speed.

you have an e6600. Then just use the general clock ceiling of others as your basis. Run the test for 30 minutes. You don't have to go 8 hours after every increase of 5-10mhz. I say set it to 3.2ghz run the test for a half hour and if it passes go up farther. Then test it for another half hour.

After it fails the 30 minute tests start raising the voltage. Once you think you have maxed out then start the 8 hour tests to achieve your 24/7 clock speed.

you could do that too.
i usually increse by 15-20 increm..
but id say test for an 1hr...30mins seems too short.
But its up to him, and yes after you want to stick with your speen an 8hr test is good.

Although, ive gone upto 12 hours then while gaming for a while i had a bsod...not sure why.

Everyone does it a little different. I just stuff mine to it's limits and then raise the voltage till it is stable.. A lot more careless compared to some. :) But it works for me.

Ok, I was running this for an hour and a half with no issues (I'm at 3.6ghz which is what i wanted) and I wanted to pause it so I could check a few things. On my toolbar, I can right click the Prime95 icon and it will let me click "Continue". But it won't continue! Why is this? I thought I could just pause it and let it keep testing when I was ready. :( any comments on this? Or does it not matter where it is on the stress test (i could just start over and not be concerned about how far i got after 1.5 hours)

when you stress test, you cant pause.
you gotta play it non stop untill your done testing.
just run the stress test before you sleep, so you wont have to be waiting for anything..

Ok I'll run it all night. During the time i watched it for an hour and a half, my cores only topped at 52C anyway.

SOB...One of my threads caught an an error last night two hours after I started it. I then upped the voltage again this morning at 8am, started again, when back to sleep. It caught an error just one hour into it. Is it just coicidence that even though I'm upping voltages a little bit, it sometimes can't last as long under stress? Or should I disregard this because my vcore is still considerably low?

note: Although my stupid "dominator" ram is dominating at a low 800mhz still, I did tighten the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 recently. Can this increase the likelihood of failing stress tests? But heck, its certified to run 4-4-4-12 at 800 out of the box, surely this isn't an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom