New CPU I need some help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
Hey I just upgraded my amd 3500+ to an amd opteron 185 dual core and I think i am having some problems. So to start off when I go to "See basic info about your computer" its says "AMD Hammer Family Processor-Model unknown 2.61Ghz" and when I go to the Task manager it is only showing 1 for the CPU usage. Shouldn't it be showing 2? also I am now getting an error message that says "Ceneric Host Process for Win32 Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Can anyone help me? thanks

well if your using a 32 bit OS it may not read your other core. I was running 32 bit vista on my amd athlon x2 adn my device manager only recognized one core. it still made use of both to a point but didnt run them both for optimal settings. I upgraded to a 64 bit system and it is now showing 2 cores in the device manager. this however is probably not your problem since it is showing the wrong processor in your basic info screen, you probably need to update your bios and drivers for your computer. the opteron probably wasnt made when your mobo was, so even though its the same socket type, when you put it in your bios recognizes the clock speed but has no clue what kind of processor it is. update your bios, perhaps find a 64 bit OS but thats not necessary, 32 bit will still run it and probably have better compatibility with your games and such, and that should fix your problem. definetly update your bios. even if thats not the problem it cant hurt.

ok thanks for the info. One quick question how do I update my bios? thats another thing I haven't done before. I know I should probably know this but hey everyone has to start somewhere lol

find your motherboard brand, and go to its web site. on the website there should be a downloads section with updated bios and drivers. find your motherboards model number and download any new drivers and bios updates.

If you have a flash drive you could update bios with that if it makes easier for you. Extreme systems has info on how to do that.

ok sounds simple enough. But I know with my luck i will find a dumb way to make something easy hard lol. Na not really I think i should be able to handle that. thanks a lot for the replys

well my mobo is Foxconn Winfast NF4K8MC and I went to the website
Foxconn - Support - Downloads
but I am not sure which one to download because there are to of them the NF4K8MC-ERS and NF4K8MC-RS. Which one do I need to download? :-?? could you help me out one more time please? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom