OEM or still stick with retail version of Windows Vista Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i just now purchased Windows Vista Ultimate (full version) n a Seagate 250GB HDD.

i was just thinking, the OEM version only allows one activation n retail infinite. I will not be upgrading my new mobo or RAM for a long time. However, i will upgrade from the 5000+ Black Edition i am getting to mostly likely 9900 or so n upgrade from my, already have, 9200 LE to an HD 3870 x2.

now after thinking this, does it matter if i change the graphics card n CPU n not have me require another activation, if i change now to OEM from Retail?

i need to know tonight. I am rebuilding my system from scratch, already ordered all the parts, but i need to know if i should go with OEM or stick with the retail i already ordered?

respond back plz! Hurry!

I would go with OEM, as I have never heard of only one activation on any OEM software... I have OEM windows home that I have used on several of my computers here at home and never had a problem like that.

and no... hardware will not affect the activation at all.

Retail does not have infinite activations it has 3 activations. OEM has 1.

This is a new think with Vista Nukem. They switched it from XP.

Yes it is hardware based. If you switch your mobo it will ask for activation. Most likely if you switch your CPU it will ask for activation as well. But you can switch out your hard drives, GPU, RAM and other things like that with no issue. It is only the CPU and Mobo that affects Vista widely.

I would say OEM. Just remember as long as you dont change the Mobo you are safe. If it asks for activation after switching the CPU you can call and get it reactivated legitly. But if you switch out the mobo you will have to lie to get it activated again.

I would go with OEM, as I have never heard of only one activation on any OEM software... I have OEM windows home that I have used on several of my computers here at home and never had a problem like that.

and no... hardware will not affect the activation at all.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

i dont have Adobe Reader on this computer, but what else do i do after i buy the OEM? It says there is a System Builders License. What is that about?

Retail does not have infinite activations it has 3 activations. OEM has 1.

This is a new think with Vista Nukem. They switched it from XP.

Yes it is hardware based. If you switch your mobo it will ask for activation. Most likely if you switch your CPU it will ask for activation as well. But you can switch out your hard drives, GPU, RAM and other things like that with no issue. It is only the CPU and Mobo that affects Vista widely.

I would say OEM. Just remember as long as you dont change the Mobo you are safe. If it asks for activation after switching the CPU you can call and get it reactivated legitly. But if you switch out the mobo you will have to lie to get it activated again.

ok then ill cancel the order n reorder then. This means that i will have twice as much debt. Should i call Newegg n ask them how long it will be until they remove the debt from my credit card?

all that means is YOU are responsible for maintaining the system and not anyone else... and of course they are going to say you can't xfer anything to another computer... how would they make money that way! LOL

I wouldn't worry about it at all... you can download Adobe and anything else you need... most of that stuff is freeware from the various companies... (I.E. Shockwave, Flash player, Quicktime, Adobe, etc...)

Edit... OH! I did not know that about Vista... Then I stand corrected, thanks Mak

all that means is YOU are responsible for maintaining the system and not anyone else... and of course they are going to say you can't xfer anything to another computer... how would they make money that way! LOL

I wouldn't worry about it at all... you can download Adobe and anything else you need... most of that stuff is freeware from the various companies... (I.E. Shockwave, Flash player, Quicktime, Adobe, etc...)

Edit... OH! I did not know that about Vista... Then I stand corrected, thanks Mak

lol not on this computer, no one knows the Administrator pass, so im using kids.

i just canceled my order n reordered for the OEM version n the HDD. Like i said for the post above, it will show that i have more debt to pay. How can i get the debt off my card for the first order i canceled? Or will it eventually disappear?

EDIT:

got an email back from Newegg. I guess they answered my question:

We have granted your online request to cancel your recent order. Order 72194851 is now void. If your credit/debit card has already been charged, you will be refunded the full amount, including shipping and handling, in approximately 2-3 business days.

Just buy the oem version. If you have to activate with a new configuration you just call and tell them that whatever part you replaced died and had to be replaced.

There is a sticky up top that talks about recovering passwords. ;)

But yes the OEM will be jsut fine. No need to go all out when it isnt needed. I have read and studied the Vista EULA for purposes just like this. If you dont plan on switching out hte mobo then by all measn get OEM. Even if you do there are ways around this as well. Cant talk about them as it is against rules.

But Activation is strictly hardware based. Vista and XP. The way it works is it takes a general snapshot. Menaing basically it takes your mobo info and CPU inro along with some stuff like # of HDD's, GPU or not sound card or not. Stupid stuff liek that. That way when you actiavte they can see if it violates what they have on record with that serial. Since the serial will be activcated for the first time this is the kind of info it will take.

Then on a re-isntall it will check this stuff again. Even if you switch GPU, Sound cards and everything but the mobo you have not violated the EULA and not gotten a new PC in the eyes of M$. Therefor you can get it reactivated by them legitly. XP was done close to this but with XP it hammers on you with CPU. Even though it shouldnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom