Upgrading: What's the weakest link(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qk232

Baseband Member
the weakest link in your system is the video card
if i were you i would look into looking around for a used x1900xtx or something for around 150

the weakest link in your system is the video card
if i were you i would look into looking around for a used x1900xtx or something for around 150

I thought that could be it, but is it still the weakest link since I don't do really any gaming? I am using DVI right now and things look fine to me. It is definitely a HUGE increase over D-sub. Will I see a medium increase in video quality if I upgrade to a bit nicer card using DVI? Is there a noticeable difference in between direct x9 and x10?

Thanks

stick with the vid card then
what would you like to improve?

I was wondering if this system could be overclocked at least a little so that I could learn hands on about overclocking.

I looked for a x1900xtx ish card and I couldn't find anything. Is it suppose to be 1900? I found this video card with DX10 and 512ram. Is this an ok video card?
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Is there a noticeable difference from DX9 over DX10?

if your not gaming then probably not
again what is the use of your system and what would you like to improve on it?

I would like to improve the speed even though it is fast as it is, but I am looking into doing more resource intensive things such as running virtual PC (or other related programs for running/learning LINUX), heavy multitasking, overclocking to learn, faster bootup speeds are always nicer, faster data transfer rates from SATAII hd to hd (not sure if cpu and ram can be limiting factors in this case), etc.

I guess there isn't a huge weak link since I'm not a gamer, but I've never had a nicer system than this so I don't know how great graphics can be to see if I would want a nicer video card or not.

Thanks for the help. I hope all that makes sense.

tweaking windows will get you the faster boot times, and faster response you want without having to buy anything new. You can also:
Defrag
Anti-virus/Spyware checks
Ccleaner/easycleaner (ccleaner is good for unused temp files, etc..., and easycleaner is good for finding unused registry edits that can take up resources.)
getting rid of some of the Vista eye candy will help as well...

tweaking windows will get you the faster boot times, and faster response you want without having to buy anything new. You can also:
Defrag
Anti-virus/Spyware checks
Ccleaner/easycleaner (ccleaner is good for unused temp files, etc..., and easycleaner is good for finding unused registry edits that can take up resources.)
getting rid of some of the Vista eye candy will help as well...
I've defragged and at work all I do is remove viruses/spyware and misc to pc's without being able to reformat so I've got all that good stuff taken care of, but I have a good bit of programs that I believe could be the cause of a ~2min startup time even with the mentioned resources, adjusted boot order, and sataII hd.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom