How to check stability of your video card OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

In Runtime
i just got rivatuner working with my 8800 GTS 512mb and am wondering whats the best way to check the stability of your cards new clock speeds?

As well, apart from increasing the core clock and mem clock, are there any other settings that should be enabled in riva tuner? i've never overclock anything so i am a complete newb.

Also, at what increments do you usually increase the clock speeds by?

usually 5-10... but in ATiTool it has an artifact tester, run that, or run up a demanding game

btw love the Halo sig

I was able to successfully run 3dmark06 with core at 750 and memory at 1000 on my GTS. So thats a good starting point for ya :)

ATI tool doesnt work with the EVGA 8800GTS 512mb though :S
i will try using 3dmark, or running through a couple levels of crysis.

ATI tool doesnt work with the EVGA 8800GTS 512mb though :S
i will try using 3dmark, or running through a couple levels of crysis.

it doesn't? it works on the 8800gts 320mb I had on my old e4300 system, before my grades slipped...

Ati tool hasnt worked with any of the g92 model cards i have had. Wouldnt work with my GT 512 or my GTS 512.

i just got rivatuner working with my 8800 GTS 512mb and am wondering whats the best way to check the stability of your cards new clock speeds?

As well, apart from increasing the core clock and mem clock, are there any other settings that should be enabled in riva tuner? i've never overclock anything so i am a complete newb.

Also, at what increments do you usually increase the clock speeds by?

Run 3dMark first at stock settings. Watch the video carefully. Now start OC'ing your video card. You should be able to bump both the core clock and mem by 50 to start with, after that 5-10. Watch as 3dMark runs, look for artifacts. They will look like little white pixels, flashes of random color blotches, bullet hole looking flashes, anything that looks abnormal. The white pixels are usually the first to be seen tho. Once you start seeing the white pixels, you are maxed on one or the other (mem or core). Drop one of them and run it again. If the artifacts are still there then drop the other one. If it runs fine, raise the first one back up and run again. If it is fine then keep raising until you start to see the artifacts again. Once you see them drop it back one setting. This is your max setting without artifacts. You can go higher and still run with artifacts and get a higher score in 3dMark maybe, but soon it will start locking up. Also, if it locks up, you will have to reboot in order for RivaTuner drivers to reset. You may want to set you fan @ 100% in Riva also to keep thing cool while testing.

cool, thanks for your help. Got my card to 810/1075 with a score of 15756 on 3d mark. I think i could push my clocks a little higher as i havent come across any artifacting yet, but i will leave it at these speeds for a while, see how stable they are before i further overclock.

For stress testing I use rthdribl set to 16x Multisampling and fleck/bump enabled.

Just hit the maximize button and watch your GPU temps heat up ;)

I usually leave it running for about 5 min and if there is no freezing or artifacts I consider it stable.

Trust me, enable the settings I said above and this is really one of the best stress testing programs out there I think. Stuff has passed ATItool artifact scan and been caught by rthdribl

rthdribl - Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting 1.2 -

For stress testing I use rthdribl set to 16x Multisampling and fleck/bump enabled.

Just hit the maximize button and watch your GPU temps heat up ;)

I usually leave it running for about 5 min and if there is no freezing or artifacts I consider it stable.

Trust me, enable the settings I said above and this is really one of the best stress testing programs out there I think. Stuff has passed ATItool artifact scan and been caught by rthdribl

rthdribl - Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting 1.2 -

awesome, i'm downloading now.

Rivatuner is messed up though :(
when i rebooted and opened up rivatuner all my clocks were read as 0/0 just like ATItool and i cant change anything. how fustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom