CPU upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
I upgraded my CPU from an Athlon 3800+ to a 3800+ X2, my motherboard recognises it etc but in windows it randomly shut down and now i cant even get into windows, i just get a BSOD :confused:

temps were fine, core 1 was 31 degrees and core2 was 37 degrees according to coretemp and my GPU was at a steady 49 degrees celcius

please help

update: installed old cpu everything is fine, my new one must be faulty :)

thanks for the reply, if my motherboard recognises it and so does windows then i probarbly wont need to update the bios.. the cpu must be a crapper

The bios MIGHT need to be updated, depending on how old the mobo is and also, you can use this (Dual core Optimizer) to help with the Windows problem and the CPU.

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64/FX Processor Utilities & Updates

if that doesn't help, then I might say check your CPU, but I'm not sure it's the CPU right off the bat. Just because your mobo sees the CPU doesn't mean it can operate with it properly.

ive downloaded some of those apps but will they actuly stop windows from crashing etc?

It's not JUST for gaming as it stated... when I bought my first DC, I used it and my freezing up stopped, but more importantly, at this point... what would it hurt to try it?

UPDATE: ive flashed the BIOS and have CPU running Orthos on the small FFTs test, it hasnt crashed yet fingers crossed

thats good nick.
Most mobos need to be flashed when upgrading from single to dual core.
Im not sure if you should do a clean format though...some ppl recommend one.

ok, its still not working i flashed the BIOS as I said earlier and i ran 3dmark06 and also had run orthos earlier for an hour and 20 mins, then when i was installing orange box it just cut out like id switched off the power :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom