windows vista recovery disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
Hi. My pc is not prebuilt so it does not have have the recovery disk like those provided by dell, gateway etc. All I have is only the windows vista OS disk (single) and all the other CD Roms Drivers for the motherboard etc.
How do I make a recovery disk myself?
I have 2 partitions 160gb on C and 160gb on D. How would I go about installing a recovery partition on D Drive when I reformat and reinstall windows vista on C drive?
Thanks.

Your Vista OS disk IS your "recovery disk." The recovery disk that you make with prebuilt PC's is just your own version of a reinstall disk.

Is this suppose to mean that the windows vista dvd oem OS disk is way flexible and better than the CDs provided by prebuilt?
But I noticed one advantage of a manufacturer's recovery disk: The option to do away with activation upon recovery.
Does a OEM vista CD recovery disk needs activation?

Is this suppose to mean that the windows vista dvd oem OS disk is way flexible and better than the CDs provided by prebuilt?
But I noticed one advantage of a manufacturer's recovery disk: The option to do away with activation upon recovery.
Does a OEM vista CD recovery disk needs activation?

Yes hte Vista OEM Disk is more versitile than a Dell or HP Disk.

No it doesnt get around activation. If you reinstall with a Vista Dell Disc you will have ot re-activate. It is only when you recieve the system the first time you dont have to activate.

Yes a Vista Recovery CD will need activation.

Here let me clear this up for you. The Vista recovery CD is only to recover your BOOT files. It will not repair nor re-isntall your OS. Vista comes on a DVD there is no way a CD can do what you think it can. It is just to recover the boot files if they are lost. That is it. The Vista DVD is what you use to repair or re-isntall with. That is what you want. Plus the Vista DVD can recover the Boot files as well.

So what you are looking for doesnt exist. You have everything you need.;)

I am afraid I do not quite understand the last line: "So what you are looking for doesnt exist. You have everything you need."
Anyway, I noticed there is a create recovery disk option in the OS itself which can be found under all programs>maintainence>create recovery disk.
Is there a need for me to create the recovery disk?
Any difference between the created recovery disk and the OS disk (which contains recovery)?
Can either disk be used for repairing the OS for instance?

I have already explined it i fyou read my post.

What you are looking for is what XP has. The CD is the REcovery console and such right? It doesnt exist with Vista. There is no recovery console. At all. That is what i mean by what you are looking for doesnt exist.

Again i state that the Recovery CD is use to recovery the boot if it gets lost or overwritten by either XP's boot process or Linux's Grub. That is all it is used for.

There is no need to vreate it as the Vista DVD can do this as well. If you have the Vista DVD why waste a CD when it is not needed.

The difference is the Recovery Disc can ONLY RECOVER the BOOT. That is it. IT will also run a scandisk. The Vista DVD can ALREADY DO THIS AN IT CAN INSTALL VISTA.

NO either disc can not be used to repair the OS because Micorosoft REMOVED that function from teh Vista DVD.

So again i state that you are not looking for a recovery disc as it is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom