New build has blank screen on power up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Abit AN9 32X mobo
Geforce 8800 GT 512

I am using a older CRT monitor and the little adapter that the card comes with to enable me to plug VGA into the DG-I port on the card, it's plugged into port 1. The 8800 is in tight, the aditional power connector is plugged into the card, everything looks normal to me but when I power it on the monitor does not come on, it just sits with an amber light, no POST, no errors or anything.

CPU and RAM all are in tight and look fine. Is there something I am missing, could there be a problem with my monitor that does not allow the VGA to DG-I adapter to work?

PSU should be fine, it is a 600W.

Dont you mean DVI port not DG-I, everything can be tight but make sure it in the right places, if everything inside the computer is running fine but the screen doesnt come on, try turning it on and off. If i was you i would just buy a new screen or test it with a new screen to eliminate the pc as the problem.

Yes, I meant DVI. I am planning on getting a new monitor eventually. Is there any reason my monitor won't work with the adapter?

Thanks, I'll check out the suggestions in that thread and see if that helps. What would taking the mobo out of the case do?

The only other thing is I did not clear the CMOS before trying to power it up. After I tried, I cleared it but have not tried again with a cleared CMOS, could clearing the CMOS fix a problem like this? Thanks.

OK, I tried it again with no luck, cleared CMOS, removed all but the CPU and RAM and it is still doing the same thing.

I tried the second video card power connector, no luck.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, could the problem be with my monitor not working with the supplied adapter? I am currently using a NEC MultiSync FE1250+, not new but I thought it should still work with the adapter.

If the problem is with my old monitor that is fine I will get a LCD flat panel with a DVI port but if not then I will save my money and wait a few months I am just trying to figure out what is going on. I am going to try and find someone that has a DVI monitor that I can use to test it out on too.

OK, new update.

Tried digital monitor and it did not work, took out RAM and it didn't beep at first, it did beep once or twice though but out of 10 power ups it beeped once maybe 2 or 3 times, weird. Tried PCI video card and had the same problem so I guess that would indicate the 8800 PCI-E s OK.

Took the mobo out of the case and placed it on a anti static bag and made sure I was grounded, the only items plugged in were the CPU and fan, RAM, video card, CPU power connector, 24 pin main power connector, power switch, case speaker. It did not make any difference at all, I tried it again with no RAM with the same one beep and then every time I powered it off and back on it never beeped, tried PCI card and it did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? How can I go about narrowing down if it is the mobo or CPU? Since I took the RAM out and it basically did not beep then wouldn't that indicate the mobo or CPU?

If it is the mobo I hope they will exchange it with a working one since I took off the UPC code for the rebate (note to self, test hardware before sending off rebate).

One other question I had is, does anyone have a Abit AN9 32X running a AMD 6400? I think the AN9 will support a 6400 but I never could get a solid answer from the web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom