RAM compability

Status
Not open for further replies.

layr89

Beta member
Hi,
i have a quick question concerning ram upgrading. I have given so many controversial answers about this topic so i thought to ask from you guys.

Basically i have 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (200 MHz)
Everest tells this about RAM (it's basically also included in motherboard info):LINK

I'm not sure about my board. It's chaintech, but is it K8T800 or SK8T800 or something else i can't figure out.
And this is the motherboard info provided by everest: LINK

I am hoping to upgrade my system to 2GB of ram. Will i be able to use those cheaper high density rams or what kind of ram should i get? I was looking for these, but discovered they are not compatible with all motherboards.

Edit: ok, i t h i n k i have Chaintech SK8T800 VIA K8T800 chipset based motherboard. But what does it mean? Is it SK8T800 or K8T800.
That ebay page i gave say those rams are known to work with VIA K8T800 and K8T800 .

Thanks for the welcome :)

So you are quite sure that it will work? I'm really confused:p Some say it will, others say it is not compatible. What's the main difference between high and low density rams anyway?

Merry Christmas!

I won't guarantee it will work as more recent boards also have compatibly issues with different RAMs

You also E-mail the seller to check with the compatibly-ness(?)

Density?

Quotes of IceBlade008
If your system is designed for accepting DDR (Double Data Rate) memories of 184pin DIMM (usually desktops) or 200pin SODIMM (usually laptops) built, for your system to fully recognise 1GB capacity per memory slot, you need to use 'Low Density - 64Mx8 config' 1GB module. If you use 'High-Density - 128Mx4 config' 1GB module, your PC may only recognise it as HALF the size at 512MB or most of the time it will not work.
* All low density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 64Mx8 device.
* All high density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 128Mx4 device.
high density 1GB modules are mainly manufacturing process rejects/seconds that cannot be made as a low density modules. It is very much like Intel CPU, those CPU that cannot be made as Pentium 4 CPU become a slower bus Celeron CPU instead, by a down-binning process.
* LOW DENSITY modules have 100% compatibility with ALL systems and ALL chipsets.
* HIGH DENSITY modules only have 10% compatibility and are VERY SLOW.

Source:Info: What is the Difference Between Low Density and High Density RAM? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Edit: Happy Holidays to you too

and everyone else

Thanks a lot, mate. Really interesting facts about high density memories. Think i'll take a short shot and buy low density rams instead. If you give me a green light, i'll buy two of these 1gb samsung rams:

Hi,

those looks good to me
however, I cannot guarantee they will work. as even modern ddr2 memory have compatibility issues with modern motherboards
but I believe you will have VERY HIGH success rate

that aside, make sure you discharge yourself before handling those memory modules, and make sure you UNPLUG(not just turning it off) your computer before installing them.

Avoid static-causing surfaces such as carpeted floors, plastic, and packing foam

*discharging - Touch a bare metal surface of the computer case.

bye

Thanks for warning, but i have already experienced the power of static with one other ram in the past. When dealing with hardware, i usually hold onto the heater with one hand :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom