Wanting to build a blazing game system

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeScooby

Solid State Member
Ok, heres the scoop. I want to build a bad a** game system. i have 2 choices for boards and a recomendation for video card

The video card i have chosen would be the nvidia 5950 agp

my 2 processors that i have narrowed down will be

Intel P4 2.8Ghz Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB Cache OR

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.083GHz) 333 FSB total cache: 640KB.

which one would be better for gaming, intense gaming. Any input would be much appreciated

AMD is significantly better for gaming. Plus the 2800 is "faster" than the 2.8. I would definately go for the 2800+ (although you can get much faster)

The video card you have chosen isnt exactly the fastest on the market. The Radeon x800 xt would probably be the best. However the soon to be out Nvidia 6800 Ultra would be better (i think so anyway)

However you would be paying much more money for that video card and a faster processor. If you go with the AMD and the video card you have mentioned above you will be fine with games. However you will not be able to crank the graphics up amazingly high in games like Doom 3.

When people say "AMD is better for games than P4" they are generally comparing the latest AMD and Intel CPU's.

I would personally go for the 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB over the XP2800+

The P4 supports DDR400 and it can be upgraded by quite a large margin... upto 3.4GHz at the moment.

Go with the AMD64 for gaming. Do not get an Intel.
IMO if you are getting a mild video card, then go with a Radeon for a better performance to price ratio.

If you plan on doing some intense gaming you are going to need some serious memory. Forget about capacity for now... Worry about performance. 512 Mb should be good to start you off (as performance RAM is a bit more expensive).

Ray.png

3D.png

lol, like asking these guys to pick AMD or Intel is going to help you LMAO. Might as well ask AMD which chip is better, bet you'll get AMD as an answer. Ask Intel what chip is better, bet you'll get Intel as an answer. Point is these guys purchased what they purchased and are going to tell you their previous chioce, rather it be AMD or Intel, is better. May as well figure it out on your own. Good luck lol.

It depends what AMD you pick, I could show you plenty of results where AMD aren't any faster.

The P4 FSB is 133MHz whereas the FSB on the XP2600+ is 170MHz.
2.8 P4 taking on a XP2600+
3D.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom