Upgrading RAM and/or graphics card :: Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyrhapsody

Solid State Member
Alright guys, i'm relying on you guys for some advice.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1.99 GHz, 384mb of RAM

My computer model is: Emachines W3400

Running XP Home with SP2

--

Alright, when i start my comp it's already using 399mb of memory which i'm guessing is cutting into "virtual memory". I really need to get more memory but i also need to get a better graphics card.

My question is. If i get a graphics card with 512-1g memory help in everyday stuff like surfing the net, photoshop, ect. or only help with video and gaming?

If i can get a graphics card and memory in one that would be preferred, if i must get only get a RAM upgrade what kind does my machine need and how much should i get?

Please respond :)

The RAM on a GFX card won't add to the RAM in your computer, and it only helps with graphics.

That said, RAM is pretty cheap and the easiest upgrade known to computers. Your computer uses DDR (PC3200, or 400, same thing), and can handle up to 2 gigs.

Luckily your computer has a PCI-E slot for graphics. Your power supply is only 300 watts, though, so the power needs of the card must be considered unless you upgrade the PSU as well. Since you are using the onboard graphics, almost anything would be a boost.

So, what is your budget?

Peter, will that RAM Work with my computer?

--

My budget is $200 for a graphics card. I forgot to mention that i do have a nvidia installed with 128mb on it, that's about all i know about it. My main priority is getting my comp running smoother. Some things that i do is: Photoshop, edit video(vegas), game(mostly RTS), run a gaming forum).

I'm looking for a card that can run Command & Conquer 3 pretty easily, even if it isn't on high quality.

I also heard that some RAM needs to be installed in sets on certain comps. I'm assuming i have 256 in one slot. Is it safe to install 2 more RAM chips even though it won't be 2 sets?

Well, If i were to buy it and it didn't work i would feel pretty dumb. Then someone would ask " I thought you knew which type to get?". I would respond, "Some guy recommended it on a forum..". Then i would get slapped in the back of the head lol.

Hope you can understand that.

About the RAM sticks being in pairs, do they have to be for my system? Buying what you linked me too would mean that i would have an odd about of RAM sticks. But, it only has one to begin with so it was laready not in a set of 2.. Just not sure about it.

I'm thinking about getting this card along with the memory upgrade.:

BFG - GeForce 8600 GT OC Graphics Card - BFGR86512GTOCFE

the requirements say:
Windows XP or Vista; 512MB RAM; 50MB available hard drive space; 325W PCI Express-compliant system power supply; PCI Express-compliant motherboard; available PCI Express x16 slot; CD-ROM drive

I'm assuming i will need a PSU upgrade, that's fine but i need to be pointed in some sort of direction. Is there anything i need to know when selecting a new power supply unit? Can anyone recommend one that will give me enough juice to run this card?

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking about getting this card along with the memory upgrade.:

BFG - GeForce 8600 GT OC Graphics Card - BFGR86512GTOCFE

the requirements say:

I'm assuming i will need a PSU upgrade, that's fine but i need to be pointed in some sort of direction. Is there anything i need to know when selecting a new power supply unit? Can anyone recommend one that will give me enough juice to run this card?

Thanks in advance!

Wow that a major ripoff, the 8800gt 256mb murders that card and can be found online for $200. You can get a stronger card for less money, like a 7900gs. That card (8600gt) doesn't use a lot of power, basically if it doesn't have a pci-e connector then its a low power consumption card. 8600gts and higher would need a psu upgrade, and for less you could get an 8600gts online which is comparable to a 7900gs but with added dx10 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom