Need help building a new PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Biscuit

Solid State Member
So, this Christmas I have been given the opportunity to build a new computer. I have a budget of about $1000, and I would prefer to buy a built one from the store. I can replace parts, (video card, RAM, etc.) but I don't quite have the skills to build my own.

I'm looking mostly for a gaming PC. I've been trying to find out what kind of graphics card I'll need, but a lot of the information out there is quite confusing for a newbie like me. It would be really helpful if anyone cold give me a link explaining what I should look for in a video card. I've been looking mainly at the GForce 8600, which seems to be highly recommended on several sites, as well as some Circuit City employees.

I've been looking a lot at the difference between ATM and Intel processors as well. I'm not sure which will work better with a video card, or how important they are relative to the video card. Some information or a link to a useful site would be excellent as well.

I don't expect a full computer build from you guys, I know I'm fairly lacking on information, but if you could help me out and help me learn, it would be great. Thanks guys!

High-end games, right now I am looking at The Witcher and Crysis. I don't need full graphics, but a higher end experience would be nice if possible.

yah... Crysis is pretty high end lol

if you are going for single card/nVidia route, I'd suggest GeForce 8800GT 512mb card

and trust me... building yourself would get you much higher performance to dollar ratio

Okay, that card looks like what I want. Now I have to look at processors, what do you recommend, an Intel or ATM. Also, if I do get an intel, should I get a dual core or a core duo, I can't afford a quad-core.

Once again, thank you for the help.

I must admit, I'm a little confused on the price difference between building a computer and buying one at the store. It seems like buying from the store would save money, since they order their product in bulk and get a discount. But I keep hearing that building a computer is cheaper. I believe you, I'm just wondering how this could be?

huh, thats pretty impressive. Just two questions...

1. Where can I find a case? I don't think I've ever seen them sold on there own...

2. I would have to put this together myself correct? Seeing as I have no experience should I try to put it together? Or maybe pay some one else to do it for me.

I must admit, I'm a little confused on the price difference between building a computer and buying one at the store. It seems like buying from the store would save money, since they order their product in bulk and get a discount. But I keep hearing that building a computer is cheaper. I believe you, I'm just wondering how this could be?

"they order their product in bulk and get a discount."

that does not mean they *always* pass on the discounts to consumers, they gotta make their money from somewhere right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom