PSU Problems!! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjon858

Baseband Member
Alright, so I just upgraded an old Athlon XP PC, I put in 1gb ram and a 6800GT. Apparently, I'm having some heat and power issues.

I've got it all running off of a Powmax 400w PSU (Sure it's a crappy brand but it should handle this 12V @ 25v).
Here's whats running:
-2 512MB DDR sticks
-Athlon XP 2200+ and Fan
-1 Case fan
-40GB Seagate
-200GB Seagate
-CD-RW
-Power connector on 6800GT

I used everest to take a snapshot of the power and temps for this:
http://i8.tinypic.com/6q2w6fc.jpg

I also had similar results with Sandra. Is there a way I can test this on the board with my multimeter? According to some PSU calculators online, I only need a 350w for this.

When I first plugged this altogether and turned it on I heard 2 quick pops. After quickly flipping the surge protector and making sure everything was plugged in correctly, I convinced myself that this popping was caused by a cord hitting the fan and not capacitors blowing.

What should I do? I'm really low on cash and don't want to spend a ton. I'm also worried about my high CPU temps (seems like the fans have slowed down, but I've always had high CPU temps on this PC). Any quick fixes for under $50?

Seeing the board temp at 51C shows a great lack of air flow throughout the case itself. Once you get the board temps lowered it won't matter if you are running a Zalman 7000b as one example of cpu cooler or the stock hsf that comes with the cpu.

When seeing 48C with a 939 board used to upgrade an old case with the XP3200+ in use there the cpu saw 44-46C with the board higher at the 48C temp. With everything moved out of the compact mid tower that saw a rear and top rear 80mm pair of case fans and no front or side vents into a new case with a 140mm front intake and 120 rear the board then saw 31C with the cpu down to 33C idle.

Additional fans or using a 120mm adapter on an 80mm fan can help increase air flow for then seeing temps lowered. The best option will cost a little bit more by replacing the case itself with one providing the increase by simply seeing larger fans put into use.

so...I think your power is fine...but your temp issues need fixing. Like eyecpc says...but we don't know how your case looks. It might not allow for more fans or have anywhere to place them, but here's hoping.

You can get nice and cheap fans for your case and they'll cool your system fine. More expensive fans later if you want a whisper quiet system, etc. Fans are cheap.

Newegg.com - Computer Case Fans, Case Fans, LED Case Fan, 120mm Case Fans, 80mm Case Fan

also hoping your popping sounds are as innocent as you think ;)

Alright, Just checked my PSU and apparently it's only got a paltry 12A on the 12v rail. I'm guessing I'll need at least 18A to be safe.

Which PSU should I go with? One is a better brand and cheaper, but the other has more amperage and dual rails.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/ 230 V - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RV430-2-FRB-S ATX 12V Ver.2.01 430W Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, cUL, CB, TUV, CE - Retail

As for the temperature problem, I'm rather distraught. I am for sure not going to be able to buy a new case ATM. The case I have was imported from China and bought at a trade show.... It appears there is one possible mount for another fan at the back of the case (in the standard spot right under the PSU). I'm not really sure about the 120mm, 90mm, etc. fans as I've really never seen any different sizes other than the ones I use (probably 80mm). As for a 120mm connector, what good will that do with an 80mm fan? Right now I have 3 fans on my system. 1 on the CPU, 1 in the PSU, and 1 side fan on the clear side panel (It's a seethrough case). I also have a PCI fan that I might put in but I don't see how that would help the mainboard temperature.

I'm guessing part of the temp problem is also caused by the PSU. It seems that with the addition of the new parts, the side fan spins a lot slower than normal.

I'm concerned about the CPU temp too. Do you think that a bigger PSU and a new fan will be enough? Or should I get a new CPU cooler (I just have the stock one) and some Arctic Silver on there?

I ran an Athlon 64 3200+/6800XT/1GB for 3 years on this crappy powmax supply. I'm not in the mood to spend $70 for a PSU. I'm looking for a $30 fixit PSU. It just needs to get the job done, not roast a turkey too.

Between the two links I gave (thermaltake and rosewill) which one would be better? The thermaltake has 12v @ 18a and the rosewill has dual 12v with 12v1 @14a and 12v2 @15a

I never touch any $30 supplies as a rule despite what is seen on the rails. If you find a good make and model 450w or so with a rebate bringing the price down under $70 then go for it. Besides what is seen on the rails how stable and regulated a supply is will make the difference over some cheap garbage.

Corsair sees some great supplies with the HX520 and HX620 while the 450w model seen at the link here offers upto 20a for the lower price even before the rebate. Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

FSP Group has one a little less seeing 18a at Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 450R ATX12V 450W Power Supply 100 - 240 V NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom