Hard drive recognized as SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I am helping my brother in law out trying to do a non destructive repair using the installation disc. When we went through all the steps and got to the section that shows the hard drives it does not recognize the hard drive and won't let us do a repair. If we wanted to do a clean install it still would not recognize the hdd.
I decided to check bios and see what was recognized and in the hdd section it showed that the hdd was a SCSI. It is not a SCSI drive. We checked PC Wizard 2008 and it showed SCSI. All the places show that it is a SCSI. What is causing this? It is not a SCSI drive but a SATA drive. Can anyone tell me what has happened?

How old is the system? And what make and model is the drive? Besides a possible need for a bios update if something was lost there a weak battery on the board itself can often see odd things like the incomplete detection of hardwares.

With the 939 line of boards those seeing VIA chipsets would only see sata drives detected when bypassing the F6 for driver disk option and later going into the Special Devices option in order to choose the chipset of the board itself. Reviewing the section on installing sata drives in the board's manual would be another thing to look at for this.

One thing to try there would be writting the drive's make and model number for a trip to the manufacturer's support site's FaQ section on installing different model drives in the different series. If the drive there has a jumper moving that from the shipped postition like you would an ide drive changes mode not for determing the position on a drive cable.

One example on that was seen for a WD 200gb Sata 1 drive where you can see how the removal or default position insures all modes are available. The information for installing that series drive by WD is seen at Answer

If the drive is a Sata II model you would still go to a similar support page like that found at Seagate or another make if not a WD model. Look over the general information at the manufacturer for that model number to see if it is a SCSI/Sata type or can utilize a SCSI controller card like a regular SCSI model would. That would be an adaptable model and explain the discrepancy being seen.

I had to hit F6 and use the floppy to install drivers. Now it recognized it. I did a repair and now am trying to do some SP2 updates that it needs but it won't let me update.

Ok once you see Windows repaired you also need to see it reactivated in order to run the MS Genuine Advantage "wonder" now that MS put inplace since Vista was released. That's one more tool for them to see your copy of Windows verified as not being anything pirated.

Once activated and that tool is installed and run you will then be able to get right onto the update pages. It's just another minor annoyance there that slows things down a little as far as that is concerned.

No, I did activate windows. It is some issue with Microsoft updates. I had to contact microsoft and they gave me 3 different solutions that helped get most of the updates downloaded. There is another thing we have to do to get it all taken care of.

That won't be a problem for much longer there fortunately. The final SP3 shoudl be out sometime in Q1 of 2008 since the developers beta is in the works.

Usually I simply go right to the MS update site and use the custom option there to check or uncheck individual items rather then seeing things get tossed with the automatic update feature left enabled. If something goes wrong with an update I can backtrack easier that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom