Looking for a minor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasoN

Solid State Member
Hey people, I'm looking to upgrade something in my current system to give it a bit more oomph in games such as WoW And CS:S heres my specs

CPU Type AMD Sempron, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3300+

Motherboard Name Asus K8V-MX (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (256 MB)

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 226BW/MagicSyncMaster CX226BW (Digital) [22" LCD] (H9XPB03756)

Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Basically i'm looking for something that's going to make the most difference when gaming. I know this system is extremely terrible and i should probably scrap it but i dont have the money to get a new one just yet.
I play at a res of 1680x1050 and get some video tearing so i'm not sure if the gfx card is struggling. Any suggestions would be great!

P.S Budget £70 MAX

You won't find much along the lines of a CPU upgrade, unfortunately.

Another gig of RAM would be a good start, even though the s754 doesn't do dual-channel.

The biggest punch would be a new GFX card. Playing at 1680X1050 is a big stretch for a 6600GT. I dunno what the prices run on your side of the pond, though. I did find these, though:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

The X1600Pro is a little faster than the 7600GS, but not by a lot.

Looks good. It shouldn't bottleneck anything. You may want to take that extra 20+ and nab another gig of RAM just to be safe, though.

Well, the motherboard only has 2 ram slots, and both are used by 512's so i would have to get 2x1GB

Ok guys change of plan i can raise my budget to about £170 so i'm not sure what to do.

Should i buy a new motherboard/GFx Card/CPU/ram and use my current PSU, Cd-Drive etc? I just want something that is fully upgradable for the future so i don't have to worry about buying a whole new system when purchasing 1 part.

For the MOBO/CPU i had this in mind: Asrock 2CORE1333-2.66G Socket 775 Motherboard Bundle including E2140 Overclocked to 2.66GHz - heatsink and fan not included - Ebuyer

Not sure what i should think about getting for the RAM/GPU any thoughts?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom