Need adapter to connect IDE drive to SATA port on mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
I am building a new PC and will use a 320 gb SATA drive for my boot device but I wanted to use my old IDE drive just for extra storage space and temporary backups. I have one IDE port on the mobo but I have two optical drives that will take it up.

I am looking at the following two adapters and have a few question if there is someone nice enough to answer them.

Newegg.com - Fieon Digital HYA203 IDE To SATA Converter - Retail

Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-204 IDE to SATA Mini Vertical Bridge (for IDE device) Model - Retail

Will these adapters work for IDE drive -- to SATA mobo?

Will there be any problems using a real SATA drive as my primary boot drive and a IDE with an adapter as a secondary drive, does SATA determine the primary drive depending on what port it is using (SATA 1, SATA 2, etc.)?

From what I can tell the adapter plugs right into the IDE drive, the problem is my drives are mounted width ways in the case instead of front to back, so there isn't any room to stick out, can I just plug a regular IDE cable into the drive and then into the adapter or will that cause problems? The Rosewell adapter looks like it will work fine but the other one I might have problems with, can't tell from the pic.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom