Upgrading my PC - worth it or a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info.

I have run CPU-Z and it says that the package is Socket 775 LGA with an Intel P4 530 3.0 Ghz.

The main board is a Dell 0U7077 with i925x chipset.

I guess that a C2D will fit in the board then ?

Which chip would you recommend ?

I guess it is a straight forward job to remove the old chip and replace with the new one ?

Cheers

Dave

now here where it gets complicated, because some 775 boards, support Core 2 Duo, while some don't, most boards can get support via a BIOS Flash, but I can't guarantee it'll work...

I would go with a new system. the more you mess with Dell proprietary stuff, the more you have the chance of blowing something up. Clean up your old one and sell it out-right. Someone can always use a basic system... then build you a new one. I tried your route on an old HP system, and ended up spending more money, just to turn around and build a new system...

Just my 2 1/2 cents

Dell's can only be upgraded by Dell stuff, so you could go and upgrade through Dell and get a Dell mobo that would work with a c2d but that would just be silly.

SO! go with a overhaul. for the most part you can get a really good system for under 500-600 if you aren't going to go all out on a pro'd gaming system, or you could spend around 800-1000 on a system that will play anything and everything.
except crysis. crysis blows cause nobody can play it nicely.

I think it might be a good idea to save up and get the new computer. Don't drop money into something that your just going to have to get rid of in a year or so anyway. A core 2 bild would be simple and pretty cheap I mean if you just want basic specs and not to overclock you could probably sell of your computer now and build a new tower for $500 or less. The high end P4 chips is going to run you about a hundred by its self. Just a thought...

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I am going to try and sell the system and throw a few £ into the deal and get something which is brand new and going to last me for a few years.

I may post a short list of PCs for you recommendations if thats OK ? I am looking to play new games with reasonable settings and details. E.g. Call of Duty 4, Crysis, Assassins Creed (when released).

I guess most systems will be based on the Intel Q6600 quad core which I guess will be fast enough for the foreseable future ?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom