I need help finding out what my current processor is (esp mhz) and with upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihavequestions

Beta member
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro-G (it also sys P4 Titan on one object). From right clicking 'My computer' I know that I have Pentium 4 Intel 2.8GHZ with 512MB Ram (I had always planned to upgrade this). When I went to the Gigabyte site there were several specific cpus available at 2.8GHZ:

Celeron fsb 400
Celeron D 335 fsb 533
Prescott fsb 533
Northwood fsb 533
Prescott fsb 800
Northwood (HT) fsb 800

How do I find out which one of the above I have? I need to know what I am working with to decide if I need to upgrade my cpu and/or just add additional (4gb=1g x4) RAM. For example if I already have a FSB 800 then I'd just keep the cpu I have and purchase additional RAM. If I have anything less that 800 I was going to upgrade my cpu to 3.4GHZ FSB 800MHZ and increase my RAM.

My operating system is XP and I use several graphic programs. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 256MB. My sound Card Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Internal with input drive bay (in front by dvd rom).

Re: I need help finding out what my current processor is (esp mhz) and with upgrading

Download a program called cpuz. Should give you all the specs your looking to get.

Re: I need help finding out what my current processor is (esp mhz) and with upgrading

I have a Northwood fsb 800. The L2 cache is only 512kb. If I updated my cpu to a 3.4GHZ FSB 800mhz with 2MB L2 cache, would that increase the speed that my computer opens major graphic programs significantly or should I just focus on getting 4gb of RAM?

cpu-z screen shot
82mqcna.jpg

No need for the four gigs two maybe but four is going to be overkill with your proc. Your not going to notice for the amount of money a huge spike in performace from upgrading you p4 chip to another p4 chip right now with 512 megs of ram you might want to invest in two gigs and see how that works.

Thanks for your help. I'll get 2gigs and hopefully that'll tide me over for a while.

No problem glad to help thats what we are here for...

BTW 2 gigs are really cheap should not cost more than sixty dollars if that.

No problem glad to help thats what we are here for...

BTW 2 gigs are really cheap should not cost more than sixty dollars if that.

Actually, thats ddr2. ddr is very expensive and it wouldint be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom