Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Or ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, krazyq.

Here's a quick question. If I upgraded to a Q6600, would Crysis manipulate 2 cores, rather than the 4? Leaving 2 cores just idolly doing nothing? Hence little improvement over using a Core 2 Duo?

Hmm, the CNPS7500 isn't the best aftermarket cooler, but it should definitely get you to 3.0ghz.

I'm not too familiar with your motherboard...but they are mostly the same. Go into the bios and change the fsb to 333mhz, vcore to 1.35, and if you can unlink your ram do that, otherwise make sure it's running around 800mhz

Thanks, krazyq.

Here's a quick question. If I upgraded to a Q6600, would Crysis manipulate 2 cores, rather than the 4? Leaving 2 cores just idolly doing nothing? Hence little improvement over using a Core 2 Duo?

i think crysis utilizes all 4 cores, not sure on that.
I would try oc your e6600 first before upgrading, you might be satisfied with it after oc.
If you still want to upgrade, make sure you get the q6600 from clubit, since they guarantee a G0 stepping.

Hmm, the CNPS7500 isn't the best aftermarket cooler, but it should definitely get you to 3.0ghz.

I'm not too familiar with your motherboard...but they are mostly the same. Go into the bios and change the fsb to 333mhz, vcore to 1.35, and if you can unlink your ram do that, otherwise make sure it's running around 800mhz

Thats one thing I don't understand about OC'ing. I have RAM that runs at 1066Mhz. When overclocked, why do you have to tune it down to 800Mhz? Is it something to do with RAM ratio?

Well then you just have to make sure to knock the ram down so it's not being overclocked when it scales with the FSB.

So are you saying if I overclocked the CPU's FSB to 1333Mhz...its a case of making sure the RAM doesn't overclock 1333Mhz?

So would I just leave the RAM at 1066Mhz?

Yeah exactly. Change the FSB first, then usually it shows you what speed the memory will run at...

Ok mate, I'll give it a shot.

However, what cooler do you recommend for a Quad Core?

One fear is that I have the Coolermaster Wavemaster case, and its notorious for not having enough room to allow big coolers due to the "pull out" mobo tray...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom