Question about overclocking Q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastasauce

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I just finished my build and I have a question about OC my Q6600.

Firstly, I have an Antec 900 case with a lot of fans in it (6 total).

Can I overclock my CPU to 3.0GHZ while still having it very stable and at a good temperature? Or is it risky? I don't want to add anything else to my computer (i.e. liquid cooling) so what do you guys think?

All depends on the chip!

But for the most part, yes. A lot of people are able to achieve 3.4ghz-3.6ghz on their g0 Q6600's at a decent vcore... What heatsink are you using? And is it a B3 or G0 stepping? (use cpu-z to find out)

What cooler do you have on your cpu? Is it the stock intel cooler? Also what stepping is it, B3 or G0?

I have a G0 Q6600 and when I was still using the stock cooler, I had it at 2.83 GHz... I think you can probably get 3.0 GHz but you're gonna have to have all of your fans on the high setting which will make it sound like your pc is ready for liftoff.

Get a program called CoreTemp to monitor the temperatures and make sure it doesn't go higher than 71c.... if it does, you'll need to throttle back your overclock. Get a program called prime 95 to make sure your oc is stable and to stress test it while monitoring the temps. CPU_Z will tell you what stepping your Q6600 is if you don't know.

I downloaded the CoreTemp programming. I have no idea what stepping it is, or what cooler it is. My temperatures are all less then 40 degrees celsius.

Oh wait, the stepping is B according to CPU-Z

You should be able to hit 3.0ghz stable at stock voltage. You will need to manually set the vcore though otherwise it will go up if left on auto.

Set it to 1.3v and then your fsb to 333mhz. Make sure your memory is running at it's rated speed, then go to save settings and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom