Building a new, quiet PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hard drives have you had to compare it to? I've had 11 seagate drives in total, and none were obnoxiously loud, but they certainly weren't silent.

I never really knew the difference until I tried my Hitachi Deskstar, it's virtually silent.

As for the 7200.11 being fast, there are many cases where the 7200.10 outperforms it...don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome drive...but it's nothing amazing and if what he wants is speed and silence I don't think I'd recommend a seagate.

only 3. My last seagate was loud. it was actually a bit irritating. I'm just saying this one IS quiet, because I cannot hear it. If it's not possible for me to hear something, i'm assuming its quiet. wether thats a blind assumption or not I don't know, but it seems to make sense to me.

i've heard too many horror stories about the deathstar XD cool that its quiet though.

hehe the deathstars were the older ones.

Anyway if you head over to tomshardware you'll see the Spinpoint F1 is faster than the Barracuda 7200.11 by about an 18% average.

ohhh they released newer ones eh? cool.

18% eh? thats a big jump O_O well I stand corrected lol. What's the spinpoints largest drive? I need to pick up a 2nd HD anyhow. If they've got a good 1TB drive I might go samsung.

np. How much crap do you have anyway, 2TB is a lot of space! :p

Anyway if you do get another 7200.11 and put them in RAID 0 it will be blaazzing fast.

well it only took a week to fill up about 400gb -.- and my anime collection is all on dvd's lol otherwise I could probably fill it 2 or 3 times. good 6000 songs and im putting every game I have that I might wanna play on the HD. crysis, cod4, nwn2, ffxi and all 4 expansions, fear + expansions, supreme commander + expansion, lost planet. Valves orange box, counterstrike source, command and conquer 3, hellgate london, oblivion + expansion, dark mesiah of might and magic :S

id like to get alan wake, call of juarez, world in conflict and all that too. starts adding up quickly lol

adobe collection and other random apps take up a good chunk of space too ><

I wouldnt mind setting up raid5 with these but theres no way id ever be able to afford 4 more of these. gawd it'd be nice to not have any of my collection on dvd though. watch it at mouse click, no sifting through spindles.

that convenience is not worth 1600$ though haha now if i won last nights lottery hat'll be a different story. I should check my ticket O_O

so setting up raid improves speed that much eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom