vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooterdave

Beta member
i had to get a new laptop (HP dv9000) which I like - but with 1 gb ram - it is slow. I love XP and have access to an new install with SP2.

Meanwhile I have loaded the laptop with all the 2007 Windows office etc.

Question:

am i better off to install xp

or, add another gb of ram??

Love to hear all sides of the story

Downgrading to XP would likely fix your performance issues.

... though, adding in a gig of RAM would probably fix it too.

If you can go to XP for free... that might be your best option if you're not looking to spend money.

Though, I personally would just add in a gig of RAM.

I am somewhat on the same situation as this and decided after looking on newegg for so ram that I would just uprade to two gigs. Down side is I have to buy ti 1 gig sticks. However ram is so cheap right now that you can get 2 gigs of ddr2 so ram for about fifty dollars or so. If I were you and had the fifty dollars I would try the ram upgrade first then see what you think and then even if you revert back to xp you have 2 gig as apposed to one. Future proofing yourself so to say.

go with XP and 2gigs, i used vista for 10months and i must have reinstalled it due to errors about 12 times, i am currently running XP Home SP2 with 2Gbs RAM, Athlon 3800+ and a Geforce 8600GT and it flys! (compared to vista :p)

go with XP and 2gigs, i used vista for 10months and i must have reinstalled it due to errors about 12 times, i am currently running XP Home SP2 with 2Gbs RAM, Athlon 3800+ and a Geforce 8600GT and it flys! (compared to vista :p)

i've been running vista for about 7 months and havent had to re-install once due to an error.

I've only found 2 things so far that vista doesn't like. Speedbit internet optimizer (useless anyhow)

and download accellerator plus. kinda sucks cause its a great program imo. all the other ones irritate the **** outta me. I can still use it, it just crashes on occasion. only takes 10 seconds to boot up again ;p.

anyhow i'd probably grab the extra ram and not bother with the downgrade. but you can do both if you want, youll notice much better performance.

its odd that it runs fine for some people and not for others :confused: i'm happy with XP but its up to you what you choose, if you do go with vista then get another GB of RAM

I would agree with upgrading to 2GB. I have ran vista for since its release and haven't had to re-install it at all. Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom