need help with old pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok i have a pc thats 3-4 years old now that i just dont have the money to do anything with it so i was kind of hopeing i could overclock it and just do something to it to make it faster while i save for a new pc

i keep getting a floppy error (40) whitch keeps resetting my bios every few days / weeks (errery is every time i start up pc and reset is once a week / 2 weeks)

here is the pc specs and hdd size ect

pc.jpg

hdd.jpg

i am running a ASUS mobo (dont know whitch one) but i know i have the phineix bios, the chip is ment to be a 2.6 AMD Sempron but i keep getting a floppy drive error (40) and it keeps setting it back to 1.066

the pic is after i did a slight tweak, i am also running a AGP Radon 9600 64 mb graphics card

An old Asus Socket A model where the System Info for Windows(SIW) tool will display all information on the board and other hardwares installed. SIW | System Information for Windows

A flaky bios on an old system is often simply a weak lithium battery on the board itself seeing the loss of cmos information returning the bios to factory defaults. Those are generally DL or CR 2032 batteries found where watches and calculators are sold in retail dept. stores. Radio Shack, even Walmart carries their name on Duracell brand batteries in the jewelry dept. with Eveready Energizer seen in the electronics section.

The error seen for the floppy could easily be the ribbon cable or the drive is simply toast! Those can be found cheap these days from under $10 up online. You can also disable the floppy search option found in the bios setup to avoid the post tests of a bad drive until replaced if needed.

While many prebuilt systems are now commonly seen without them those that work with OSes other then Windows still have plenty of use for them as well as those running old systems that are too outdated for even XP let alone running Vista on them. But even XP can see a boot floppy or set of 6 initial setup floppies to then see the installer startup if you are unable to set the optical drive as a boot device.

why are u still using floppies, like its the 21st century.

note i did not say i was useing floppy disks there small and unstable at best

i am just getting that error, but i just found the usb on my case thats plugged into my mobo has been playing up so i am 99% sure the mobo is on its very last legs

note i did not say i was useing floppy disks there small and unstable at best

i am just getting that error, but i just found the usb on my case thats plugged into my mobo has been playing up so i am 99% sure the mobo is on its very last legs

Front usb ports especially when plugging front or top panel ports in have been known to see problems without the board being bad. What happens at times is the usb bus itself becomes taxed where using the rear ports usually works out the best. If you need to you can even add a usb panel in a pci slot for the extra ports that way.

ok thanks for the posts on that error now i need to get this thing running faster so any suggestions

my mobo is a ASUS A7N8X-X

I ran the Asus A7N8X Deluxe on one old Socket A build a few years back and never even setup the pair of usbs in the front of the old case there. I kept hearing too many having problems seeing devices used there being detected. Besides the pci type adapter card that usually see a pair of ports on those you can get a good hub for use on one of the rear ports.

Speeding it up is the easy part.

Uninstall anything and everything you don't use.

Do some heavy-duty malware scanning (adware, spyware, viruses) and clean up anything that it finds.

Go into MSCONFIG and uncheck everything but what you HAVE to have (A/V, firewall, stuff like that). Apply, OK, reboot. Check the box and hit OK when the gray box comes up at boot.

Do a major defrag. I recommend using a third-party defrag, such as O&O. There is a freeware version and a pro version. The Pro is worth the money, but the freeware one works (just manually, while the Pro version is automatic).

Download BootVis and use it to optimize your startup. It is no longer supported, but Google will find it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom