Rate my wishlist: Switching to Q6600...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
After some helpful advice from here i've decided I would be much better off making the switch to Intel from AMD. I've done a bit of researching, and was trying to keep my budget around $400. I went over more than I wanted, but felt it was necessary as I want SLI for the 2 8800GT 512's I have coming in January. Main concern is the power supply, should that be sufficient for the SLi'd 8800's?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...umber=7962008&WishListTitle=Intel+Quad+Option

$481.97 after mail-in-rebates. (Though i've heard nothing but bad things about getting the rebates, i'm good at scaring companies into doing what they promised to do though).

what about the other Q6600 option that comes with the heatsink and fan, is the AF7 better than that?

link to the one you suggest?

The AF7 is better than the stock heatsink, yes. But not enough to make up for the heat output of the Q6600.
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail ... comes with TX-2 thermal paste.. not as nice as MX-1 or MX-2 (AF7 comes stock with MX-1 already applied), but the TX-2 stuff is comparable to AS5, I believe.

it looks like the PSU you chose is ripple prone OCZ StealthXstream 600W Power Supply Review

from the techies bible... something along the lines of thou shall not skimp on thy power supply :) the extra $25-$35 to get a nicer PSU is well worth it... if anything step up your PSU, and forget an aftermarket heatsink for now, and stick with a modest overclock. when you get some more money, then you can buy a nice heatsink

It would be better to go with 3870s in crossfire, and an X38 mobo. You would get a much newer chipset and also the same graphical performance as two 8800GTs.

Well if it's needed to ensure this thing will be able to run around 3.0-3.33ghz, i'll buy it :) Money isn't an issue, I just had a set price in mind for my AMD build and wanted to stay near it. There's an OCZ 700W I had in mind, is that better?

That Tuniq looks HUGE!! Will I have to worry about snapping my mobo?! lol

As for the GPU, i've already done the research and decided on those. Thanks though.

Well if it's needed to ensure this thing will be able to run around 3.0-3.33ghz, i'll buy it :) Money isn't an issue, I just had a set price in mind for my AMD build and wanted to stay near it. There's an OCZ 700W I had in mind, is that better?

That Tuniq looks HUGE!! Will I have to worry about snapping my mobo?! lol

The mounting mechanism works fine, my mobo held it for months with no problem... make sure you have enough clearance in your case though (it stands at 155mm)... just dont move it around a lot standing upright... lay the case on its side when you're moving it around to be careful

Other reviews took apart that 600w OCZ power supply and found it was actually manfuactured by FSP (fortron), and was the same make as the OCZ 700w and some zalman PSU

go with a corsair hx520(modular), or a pcp&c 610 silencer(non modular)... or the 700watt xclio(modular)... all are $100-120 (corsair is 100 after rebate, silencer is 120, xclio is 110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom