Q6600 and Orthos not getting along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
I just got my AF7 in the mail today from krazyq and I've been doing some overclocking as you might expect.

So far I've got it deceivingly stable at 3.6 GHz (400x9). By deceivingly, I mean it boots into windows and everything works just fine, but I can't get past five minutes in orthos without an error message.

My voltage is a little bit above 1.4v, I can't remember the exact decimal. My RAM timings are at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v. Temperatures are acceptable (for now while the voltage is un-finessed) at the low 60s under load.

What should I do to make it more stable? I know a lot of people have gotten to 3.6 GHz before, so its certainly doable, but I want to be sure I've got a stable comp that won't BSOD on me while I'm in the middle of a TF2 game or something.

I would start over.
That is reset all voltages you changed.
From there I would set the vcore to 1.35
The RAm to 2.0 Volts
Any other voltage option, go ONE notch up from defualt.

Everytime the test fails, you get a blue screen or it won't boot into windows, up the Vcore by ONE notch.

The key is to take it slow and only increase voltages by one notch each time.

I am still trying to get my Q6600 Prime95 stable @ 3.7 Ghz.
It will fold and play games, but it is not yet stress testing stable..

Once I find prime95 Stable settings I will take a picture of all my voltages..

I run at 3.6ghz but not orthos stable. You are going to have to push a ton of voltage to get it orthos stable.

hey blitz, i just remembered that you need 2 orthos running since orthos doesnt recognize all 4 cores.
And veedub, idk if thats safe, but if your ok with it i guess.

Once i get my quad, i migth try getting to to 3.4 or 3.6 if i can get it stable. Otherwise ill just have it at 3.6 for benchies, but thats all.

Id rather have things stable, then run into the risk of bsods...especially whie playing games or doing homework.

hey blitz, i just remembered that you need 2 orthos running since orthos doesnt recognize all 4 cores.
And veedub, idk if thats safe, but if your ok with it i guess.

Once i get my quad, i migth try getting to to 3.4 or 3.6 if i can get it stable. Otherwise ill just have it at 3.6 for benchies, but thats all.

Id rather have things stable, then run into the risk of bsods...especially whie playing games or doing homework.

I dunno why people say this, I have 2 Orthos running and the other 2 cores still stay cool, I don't think its even using the other 2 cores at all. I've asked about this before but never got an answer

I dunno why people say this, I have 2 Orthos running and the other 2 cores still stay cool, I don't think its even using the other 2 cores at all. I've asked about this before but never got an answer

well from what ive heard, you need to orthos tests running for it to utilize all 4 cores.
Most people with quads just use prime95 for stress testing.

Up the vcore another notch, also try upping your northbridge voltage a notch as well.

Your temps are fine....just try to keep them under 71c during orthos.

btw I just got my B3 stable @ 3.6ghz...stuck my radiator out the window and its 58c at the hottest core during folding @ 1.475v. :D

You have to open 2 orthos AND set the affinities of each one so that it tests right. And up until my 680i burned up i ran at 3.6ghz all the time, the only crashes i ever got where from trying to overclock my memory too far.

Vdub, what caused your 680i to get burned up? It wasn't because your quad was at 3.6 GHz was it?

And my mobo doesn't have an option for northbridge voltage, but it does have one for "fsb voltage," is that the same thing with a different name?

Prime95 also can't go long without errors by the way.

At any rate, I've just played an hour of TF2 and there were no problems at all, so it seems to be stable enough for games. If any problems arise then I'll start to worry but for now it seems to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom