Octo cpu's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh im not saying octo cores wont be useful, but not for at least another 2-3 years. Programmers are just now getting their feet wet with multi thread code. Once people actually make the switch to multicore cpu's yes it will become more common. Right now there are just too many lazy coders and single core processors still on the mainstream market. Quads are still mostly just an enthusiast platform. Also, nehalem will be a native quad core with onboard memory controller, not octo.

is he talking about like Octo-FX is was a platform to be the successor of the Quad-FX Platform (u know two 7 series Athlon x2 FX's in the one board with the promise of 8 cores in the future with a Phenom that is dual Socket compatible)

In its "largest configuration," Nehalem will pack eight CPU cores onto a single die. Each of those cores will present the system with two logical processors and be able to execute two threads via simultaneous multithreading (SMT)—a la HyperThreading. So a single Nehalem chip will be able to execute 16 threads at once. Intel's Nehalem to feature eight cores, 16 threads - The Tech Report

We were puzzled with Intel's announcement and even the Executive VP Pat Gelsinger confirmed that the Nehalem 8 core is a native design. Fudzilla dug deeper into the story and learned that Intel can do native any variation of dual, quad or octo processor with its with Nehalem design. Fudzilla - Nehalem 8 cores is indeed native

Nehalem will launch with an eight core product in 2008, however each core will have two threads, making a total of 16 threads on a single CPU package. The design was completed just a few weeks ago and will feature 731 million transistors. bit-tech.net | Nehalem is up and running with 8 cores, 16 threads

Oh nifty. Didnt know nehalem was going to be 8core. Now i want one even more :) Just think of the 3dmark scores!

Nah its going to be a new chipset because of the onboard memory controller. I just hope DDR3 is reasonably priced by then because i highly doubt they'll bother with ddr2.

Nah its going to be a new chipset because of the onboard memory controller. I just hope DDR3 is reasonably priced by then because i highly doubt they'll bother with ddr2.

yeah, DDR3 is way overpriced. Crazy high. I wish I had the money I needed to stay on top of the game.

All this is under the envelope of varying TDPs of 90W, 105W and 130W and the chips use a new LGA socket with 1567 pins, Socket-LS.

The quad-core, "extreme" performance CPU codenamed Bloomfield, will be identical to the DP parts above, but will be single socket only and have a single QPI link. This will also be on socket LGA1366. It is suggested to have a 270mm² die size, about the same as current Kentsfield's 65nm 286mm² die, but it'll have nearly 150m more transistors at 731m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom