Bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
I have seen tutorials on making a USB drive bootable, and I always thought it was interesting. I tried it the other night and failed every time :(

I can't remember which tutorials I tried out, so sorry for not giving references to check upon. But I used the hp bootable usb program (don't remember the name), and a windows 98 startup disk (I don't have a floppy drive, I got the image file online). I formatted and then copied the files needed to boot, but every time I got the message "ntldr missing". I checked every time and it was there.

The only thing I can think of is that in the boot.ini file or any of the boot reference files I found, it specifically refers to the A: drive, and I couldn't think of what to rename it to, because the drive letter will vary depending on what computer is used. Anyone have a straightforward tutorial or tips to get this working?

Thanks.

P.S.
I did change the boot order, so don't ask. I have a 2 gig drive, and tried formatting it in fat16 and 32.

You need to actually install the o/s on to your flash drive. You can't just copy the files. Just boot off the install cd with your flash drive in and choose it as the drive to install on.

Unfortunately, 2gb is barely enough, actually it might not be enough space.

The best choice would be to install BartPE to your flash drive. I have done it successfully before. Follow the instructions EXACTLY as they are here: http://www.collewijn.info/xpe/page/pe2usb.php

this might be easier, but i haven't tried it this way: GoCoding.Com - PeToUSB - Boot BartPE From USB

You need to actually install the o/s on to your flash drive
I'm talking about having a bootable usb drive instead of using a floppy disk, because I don't have a floppy drive, and floppies are just terrible to begin with. I'm actually wanting it so I can flash my gpu bios', and later put some recovery tools and whatnot on it.

Atomic tofu, I'll have to try out that link when I get home. I guess I never thought it wouldn't be bootable. Hmm. I'll get back to you haha.

Thanks for the replies guys

Some systems just can boot from the USB Flash drives. Other can. It all depends on your system. Plus you ahve to check with the BIOS flash utility. Some only allow to be put on Floppies. Not flash drives. If you try to put it on a flash drive it errors out.

USB XP

Code:
Windows.XP.USB.Stick.Edition
60MB Compress
152MB UnCompress
No Pass
Ever want to boot up 
into Windows XP via a USB memory key?
Well, now you can.
This is a miniature version of 
Win XP
Just enough to get your up and running
so you can restore from backup,
access your
 files, or do whatever you have to do.
Also go to your BIOS setting and change the BOOT 
sequence. Removable drive or 
something should be at the top then try to reboot your PC.

Installation guidance: start "LiveXP.bat" it starts a Installationsscript, 
in which data 
must be given the SOURCE path (INSTADLLDIR) and the goal drive assembly. 
After a few minutes
 the stick is then finished.

in english

start the livexp.bat and give two parameters to it.
first parameter is where the files are, the second is there you want to install it.
e.g.
livexp c:\temp\Windows.XP.USB.Stick.Edition\Windows.XP.USB.Stick.Edition\INSTALLDIR

then i:\

if I is the usb drive

you can change settings, format as needed, etc. by following the instructions as necessary.
to install it finally, choose menu item 5, then menu item 1.
let it finish, then choose menu item 5 and menu item 2.
done.

Atomic Tofu,
I was going to try your link. But apparently you need some feature pack thing from M$, and I don't want to download a huge iso for one file that is about 200Kb or less. I didn't the see usbntd.chk file available by itself anywhere.

My mobo says it can boot from a usb. I haven't tried another stick, but I've concluded that my usb stick or my mobo is a piece of crap. Meh.

From what I understand you can only flash your gpu bios the floppy/usb way. Is that true, or are there any other workarounds?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it

P.S.
Thanks for the link Eric, but I'm just trying to make a bootable dos "floppy". I don't want xp on my usb stick, it has the crappiest read/write speeds so I'd never want to run xp on it haha.

i can flash mine by downloading a win app...execute, it automates....flash done

the beauty of forward tech, courtesy of Intel for my 975xbx mobo ;)
I feel for you guys and the companies that do the cave man flashing still

So it's exclusive to your board? I've used winflash for my mobo bios, but whenever I've looked into flashing a gpu all that comes up is booting from dos off of a floppy. I'd be all for flashing in windows if it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom