Buying a PC, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
Hi guys, I'm trying to buy a decent and inexpensive PC for some gaming. Not a super top of the line rig, but it should at least be able to run most new games on medium to high settings. Some of the games I have right now are HL2 Orange Box, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Lord of the Rings Online.

I went to cyperpowerpc.com and built this computer for just under $1100. If you can comment on this build and make any kind of suggestion I'd appreciate it, although the price has to stay at under $1100.

CASE: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower 420W Case W/ Side-panel Window (Original Color)

CPU: AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual PCI-Express

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO CARD 2: NONE

LCD Monitor: NONE

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Data Hard Drive: NONE

Optical Drive: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)

SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

Btw, if you guys know any other good sites that build PCs other then this one I'd appreciate the link. I don't really have the time between work and kids to build it myself (nor the know how).

I'm guessing he's buying from CyberPower but this is the only P35 board there: MSI P35 Neo2-FR

I only saw MSI P35 chipset on that site, but it says it supports Core 2 Duo. Doesn't say that it supports Quad. Besides I'm trying to stay under $1100. I think going up to Quad will put me over that by a couple of hundred dollars.

That memory is also not available on cyberpowerpc.com. They seem to only have Corsair and Mushkin brand memory.

You think I should go with Intel? Or AMD? With Intel E6750 it seems to be cheaper then AMD X2 6000+. But I'm not sure which is better performance wise.

Oh and also, do you think that the on board 420W PSU is enough or should I add a more powerful PSU?

Amperage is what matters in a build.. not Wattage...

but from what I've seen all of the PSU's Cyberpower has have very little 12v amperage....

I take it you don't want to put it together yourself. Its not hard at all. If I were going to spend that much it would be from a site with good hardware selections. Everyone here can help you out and save you money. Building a rig takes about 1.5- 3 hours depending on how meticulous you are.

With one 4 year old and one 2 year old, trust me 3 hours is a luxury I don't really have. I hardly have time to play any of the games I want to buy the computer for.

I just want to make sure that I get a good computer for the money I'm going to spend. If you know any other sites that build computers and have a better selection, please let me know and I'll check it out too.

I appreciate all the help guys.

I hear ya. Build it at 8:30 when they're in bed. Theres alot of sites but they rip you off. 1100 is a really nice budget. I wouldn't sell yourself short. HD should be switched to a 500gb 7200.11 Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom