Firefox 2.0.0.11 loads VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I have used Firefox since it first came out. Up until recently, it's been getting real slow-- the FIRST TIME I EVER HAD A ISSUE WITH FIREFOX! I even switched over to Netscape Navigator and it cleared up the issue (but I don't like it, even though it is the same as Firefox).

Here is an example of what happens:
I'm searching on Google, I load up websites the first few work fine, load fast. After about three or four, they'll get slower. I'll only get the top half the page. From there it gets worse, it won't even load (the URL doesn't show up in the address bar). When it finally does load, images fail to load (they will load, but takes forever).

Now, I go to IE7 *gulp* and it loads instant. The same page that would not load on Firefox loads instantly on IE7.

It has been doing this to me for maybe four weeks. I thought it was my wire, so I recrimped new ends onto my lan cable. I even bridged my wireless connection from my laptop and still had the issue. However, using Netscape Navigator (POWERED BY FIREFOX!) webpages were loading INSTANT. I don't get what's happening. I also tried Safari (yes, I actually like it somewhat), and Opera and they both load with no issues. But I want my Firefox!

I reinstalled Firefox (100% uninstall). It fixed it for about a day but the issue is returning. I couldn't access this page and had to use IE7 to post this.

1.) I don't have spyware. I searched with Spybot.
2.) I'm running Vista Ultimate, and the issue is new-- never had it before until recently.
3.) Can't be a driver issue-- other browsers are fine.
4.) I removed all add-ins from Firefox.
5.) Started with a FRESH brand new profile, same issue-- not a profile/plugin issue.
6.) Fasterfox DOES NOT correct the issue
7.) I restored all manually configured settings in about:config-- issue did go away.

I completely give up-- I'm hoping the new release of 3.0 will fix it, otherwise I'm 100% stumped on what the issue is.

Like I said, I never had a issue with Firefox!

I've had to reinstall FF twice because it was slowing down, both times fixed it.

Just to make sure, after you uninstall it, do you remove reminants from program files and any FF registry entries?

Has worked for me on xp, might want to try a firefox message board if this doesn't fix it.

I've had to reinstall FF twice because it was slowing down, both times fixed it.

Just to make sure, after you uninstall it, do you remove reminants from program files and any FF registry entries?

Has worked for me on xp, might want to try a firefox message board if this doesn't fix it.

Yes, I removed it 100% from my system. I'm not sure why it would just suddenly do this to me. Right now it's working fine, as of so far.

Can I get a URL to a Firefox forum? Thanks ;)

I didn't notice the problem until you pointed out, but the latest version of ff does exactly what you describe

I had to unistall mine as well. It took forever to load any page. Once I reinstalled it, worked fine ever since. I guess I relly never anything of it until I saw this.

firefox has some issues!!!! I trid using IE and noticed it's a lot faster than firefox. Also there's a ton of sucurity issies with it right now and the latest patch didn't resolve anything. There was a write up about it in this months Maximum PC mag. I hate to say this but I have been clicking my IE shortcut a lot more lately.

Wow, I didn't know this was so widespread. I fixed it by going back to Windows XP X64 from Vista (hehe)

But seriously, try this:
Tools->Security->Uncheck "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is forgery"

I had this enabled in Vista (I didn't enable it, maybe by default), unchecking it solved the problem somewhat. I kinda got sick of Vista and just formatted before really testing it a whole lot

It was asking Google every time I visited a website, which resulted in loading times and sometimes failing to load.

I hope this helps for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom