Difference between q6600 and q9450?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
upgrading advise between gpu and cpu.

Hey guys,
i really want to upgrade to a quad, and i cant wait for the q9450 even though its right around the corner.

I was wondering if the q6600 and q9450 will perform the same at stock speeds?
I do have a tuniq and have a good case for cooling, so im not too worried about temps.

The things i have questions is about performance. Will the new 45nm processors be better than the old quads at same speeds?
I know it has more cache, but i dont do editing and encoding.
I play games, do hw, watch movies, listen to music, and burn cds.

Im trying to sell my e6550 for 100 bucks with acfp and my ultra so i can get a quad with an 8800gt or 8800gts and that way ill end up saving money and get better performance too.
And if i get a new evga card i will be able to step up to the new 9 series cards.

so whjat do you guys think i should do?

so what do you think>?

Cliff notes:

Don't bother waiting. Get a g0 q6600 now.

The q9450 isn't going to be released for awhile...

It's 45nm, so it will run cooler, which means it will overclock nicely as well...but so far all the Q9450 engineering samples we've seen have had FSB walls around 450-460fsb.

The new 45nm processors are about 5% faster than the current 65nm on average, which means if you hit the FSB wall at 450mhz you'll have 3.6ghz...which is comparable to a Q6600 @ approximately 3.8ghz.

So, regarding the 45nm:

Pros:
-Cooler, will most likely OC to 3.4+ghz without a hitch on air
-As far as we have seen, limited to ~ 3.6ghz
-Faster than the 65nm processors clock for clock

Cons:
-Waiting for release, which has now been delayed
-A bit pricey
-You can get a q6600 g0 RIGHT NOW for a good price....they still do 3.4+ghz at least on air...most likely more.

thanks gur.
that helped me with my decision more.
another question though invlolving gpus.
Since my goal is to save money for better performance, is there a big diff between 8800gt 512 and 256?

Ya the funny part about the release delay? They actually cite AMD's lackluster performance as the reason.

Depends which resolution and which game.

However, in general it's not advisable to get any 256mb card anymore. CoD4 used 340mb or so of video memory on my computer in XP...only at 1440x900 6xAA 16xAF

Depends which resolution and which game.

However, in general it's not advisable to get any 256mb card anymore. CoD4 used 340mb or so of video memory on my computer in XP...only at 1440x900 6xAA 16xAF

o ok, i have a 22" monitor so i like high resolutions.
So 8800gt or the new 8800gts?
i do plan on stepping up...if nvidia does release the 9 series cards.

from what i've seen from benchies the g92 doesn't really beat out the GT by much. so it would probably be more advisable to get a GT

The GTS is worth about 10-15% more than the GT as far as performance goes. But, and heres the thing. It does have better cooling. So depending on your situation and the prices you can find a GT or GTS at, the GTS might be worth it. Also, the evga model (359) comes with crysis bundled in it.

The GTS is worth about 10-15% more than the GT as far as performance goes. But, and heres the thing. It does have better cooling. So depending on your situation and the prices you can find a GT or GTS at, the GTS might be worth it. Also, the evga model (359) comes with crysis bundled in it.

exactly, so i could sell the crysis and then it will be around the same price as the gt.
Btw, does the crysis copy come in the original package?
and the link from newegg, is that guarantee g0 stepping?

Im about to buy it by tonight if it is...im so excited to finally get a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom