Questions on water cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Alright, aspire.comptech posted this deal Asetek KT12A-12VS WaterChill 120mm High-End CPU/VGA/Chipset Water Cooling Kit (03-L-1341) in the Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals section. I asked these questions there but was hoping I would get more help here because I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge into water cooling. So I was wondering...

How would this compare to air cooling?

How long could a kit like this last?

Is this really all you need?

a kit like that i beleave will last around 2 yearsn if you hook it up right and there is no links. It beats air cooling by quite a bit, you can oc alot more. JUst make sure you get the right water blocks for what u are hooking it up to

hrm. for a 1 fan RAD cooling cpu gpu and chipset. I'd say a tuniq tower or thermalright ultra 120 would probably cool your CPU just as good.

at 56% off im not saying its a bad deal. I'm just saying you Might be getting the same temps as the high end air.. but with a lot of headache cleaning it, putting together, leak testing etc.. Just an opinion though.

akubane, you said in a different thread that you were gonna get a $500 water cooling system. what all are you getting? (post links!! :D)

That price is a after I decided to save some cash and cut out the GPU block and a pump. lol. I told my boss I needed this years vacation pay ASAP so I can order it next Thursday though so IDC. I also switched to an all copper CPU block so I didn't need to pay 40$ for a custom copper replacement top. Nother 40$ saved ^^ Cuts cost by about 220$ total.
I figured my ultra runs at 50ish C anyway which is pretty good so why waste money WCing it. And I switched to a grossly powerful pump VS two less powerful ones with custom tops (thanks to apok, cheers!)

Pump - Swiftech MCP655-B - 70$
Radiator - Thermochill PA120.3 - 135$
Rad Shroud - Thermochill PA Shroud - 40$
CPU block - D-TEK Customs Fuzion - 65$
Reservoir - EK-Multioption RES 150 Rev 2 + Anti cyclone thing - 45$
Tubing - Masterkleer PVC Tubing 7/16IN - 10$
Coolant - Zerex Super Coolant - 5$
In-Line Filter - Pentek In-Line Water Filter - 25$
Fan controller - Pulse Width Modulation 6x - 30$
Dye, hardware, clamps, barbs, smart coils, mounting brackets, sweet rad grill. - too lazy for links - 100$ + or -

Comes to about 525 + tax. 500 if you dint count the fan controller. bout 600 after tax ; ; Really sucks. Thats why I almost went phase when I was going with GPU block and 2ND pump lol. Would have paid nearly as much as new phase unit. kinda lame but it's gonna be pretty bad***.

I got the fans in the mail already. some nice 76 CFM red LED fans. Didn't bother adding their price in.

I shopped around for the best price but theres not many places that even carry stock with some of these things, really sucks. Shippings gonna bite me in the butt to I bet.

~edit oh forgot thermal paste. haven't really looked into it much. I'll probably look at the thermal paste thread list and grab whatever's sitting at #1 >.>

yeah some mx-1 or mx-2. i picked some of that up.

and why are you doing water cooling rather then just getting a tuniq tower? it seems like you almost regret it now. lol.

I'm not even sure watercooling is worth it unless you live where it stays pretty warm. With my TRUE i can hit 4ghz but at that speed its not even an issue of heat. When i was running 4ghz my temps were fine, but i dont think the board could actually handle the speeds.

well if TRUE can drop a good 30 degrees load from stock cooler at 50% I'd go TRUE XD. If I leave the stock fans at 50% itll idle over 65 celcius. Load hit 71 and I shut the PC off before it went higher heh.
Quite frankly having the fans at 100% just so the CPU can idle at 45 stock isnt quite pleasant. Its wintertime here and the ambient temp of my room is only 16 - 17 celcius (I hate hot weather).

I won't reqret it at all. but dishing out 600 or 700$ on anything sucks, let alone savign for a month to afford it >.> lol. I was actually thinking it was gonna be cheaper untill I added it up for the cost for this post :S thats prolly why I sounded a bit bummed ;p

i'll eventually be going yorkfield because I'm quite disappointed with the temps on this. And I know that will run cool on air. I also knew my b3 would run hotter than average but I didn't figure much hotter. meh too late now. I can ebay it and my motherboard, take a slap in the face and grab a 780i and york when they come out. I'm sure someone wouldnt mind getting a q6600 and p5kd for 350-400$

I'm half doign WC because it'll cool, half because it looks sweet and another half (lol) because it'll be fun to put together. The though of saving the cash so I can get everything else I need (monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard :S) sooner but unlike you vee I'm horrible at budgeting lol. If I don't spend it on PC parts I'll just spend it on booze ^^ I guess this is my rehab.

Ya akubane. At 4ghz and 1.55v (before the motherboard died) my quad was idling at around 41C per core. It never broke 65C while running 3dmark06. But i have also lapped both the cpu and heatsink.

Well compared to that setup you listed, a TRUE is nothing.

On the other hand, you should keep in mind that:

-It's many times more expensive
-Processors are only getting more efficient, meaning watercooling is much less of a necessity

And again, on the other side:
-Watercooling is a very fun hobby in itself
-It looks awesome
-You NEVER have to worry about temperatures
-You can also throw graphics cards in your loop
-Watercooling is just badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom