Why is my computer...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPaws

Baseband Member
When i type, it constantly skips keys i have pressed. I know its nothing physical, as i have tried typing slow/firm.

Help me!!!

Thanks.

First thing id try is to unplug the keyboard, turn off the pc, reconnect the keyboard and boot the pc back up, see if its ok then

If not just buy a cheap keyboard

Sounds more like a keyboard problem than a person problem.

Its a Laptop. So, i guess i can connect this POS wireless keyboard to it and see what happens. Im at school so ill do it later and post the results.

The only reason i doubt it being the keyboard is that it doesnt skip specific keys. is i go 1234567890qwerty..... it will skip 1 then 3(keys at a time, not those specific keys). and when i recheck those keys there fine. and its been happening for a long time. but yeah, ill test out that other keyboard later...

Thanks.

If that is the case your best bet then would be to get a nice can of compressed air and blow our the underside of the keys. It could be a small piece of something in there that is causing this.

could be grimey keys, gunk buildup.

you can do a simple surficial cleanup as mentioned
or take the key caps off...
or dissassemble the whole thing

:D

Usually if it is grime or something stuck under the keys it will be the same keys causing the problem all of the time.

Have you done a scan for viruses?

Usually if it is grime or something stuck under the keys it will be the same keys causing the problem all of the time.

Have you done a scan for viruses?

Sometimes yes. But considering this is a laptop and the keys are so close together it makes it hard for any crumbs or small pieces to escape this is still a option. ;)

Hey i was just searching my old posts and ran across this one that i forgot to update you guys on. I sold the laptop and purchased a new one, but i still didnt know an actual cause for the keys skipping. I think that you were right in the keys being grimy because i used a wireless keyboard, and it stopped skipping. no worries though. Thanks for the great help on these forums, i love it!

On a side note, do you think i got a good price for my laptop?:

$250
17'' HP
dead battery
some (negotiable) screen defects like discoloration and some dead pixels.
40gb
p4 3.2
4gb ram
he reformatted so any software is irrelevant...

I payed i think $2k for it and sold it 4 years later (6 months ago or so...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom