DVD-ROM does not read DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhonjo

Baseband Member
Hi, I recently converted my old VHS tapes to DVD's using this Sony vhs/dvd convertor/player. It plays fine on the TV but when I try it on the computer it doesn't read it. Right after I put the dvd in, I get that window message saying what I want to do with a blank disk. When I check the property when the dvd is inside, it says theres 0 bytes in it as if I never recorded anything on it. I thought my dvd-rom was broken but its the same with other computer dvd-rom.

i checked with the dvd-rom manufactured website for drivers but nothing changed.

sooo is there a program or a driver of some kind so it can play on the computer?

The format a dvd recorder uses for tv viewing is not the same as a dvd burning software would see in general. For viewing videos in that type of format you would have to patch an external dvd player used into a tv tuner or video capture device you would install on the system.

For burning disks that are pc ready you would use a pc type video capture device that accepts analog composite input into mpeg II or avi format and then burn with a dvd program like Nero to be pc viewable as well as dvd player ready for tv.

I patch composite vhs and camcorders in for capturing video here often enough for viewing and burning to disk. The typical dvd burners sold in retail stores that are separate components use the tv type signal output from those to replace the dying off breed of vcrs with everything now trending to digital.

The snag you ran into there is that those are home entertainment type devices used to replace the outdated vhs format in preparation for the overall change you will also be seeing in 2009 to HD tv then. Different cards or usb devices will see 75ohm, RCA phono(composite/analog), and s-video as well as digital depending on make and model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom