What's going on in the background of Vista to cause it to use that much memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I just compared a few things with the multiple computers I have.

JUST to run the OS with no applications, Vista appears to take 510mb to run. Ubuntu Linux takes 110mb and Windows 2000 Pro takes about 90mb.

Vista is visually appealing, yes, but what about it causes it to use a significantly higher amount of memory than Ubuntu Linux? I mean, Linux can be pretty visually appealing too with desktop effects and compiz fusion, but what about Vista makes it different, or even better than the other OS's listed here?

I'm definitely upgrading from 1gb of RAM to 2gb of RAM on this laptop. However, this laptop can handle 2x2gb (4 total) and if I caught a holiday sale on newegg I was going to just order two to max it out, but I figured I'd check in here with you guys to see what you all thought.

superfetch, just read up and form your own opinion
basically I like it, in that it's a forward way of using ram. Instead of leaving it idle and unoptimized, why not let some of it be used to make your system more efficient? ;) But that's my agreement to the idea, some people will not like the idea even if it's correct

Windows Vista: Features Explained: SuperFetch

At first I was like oh gosh that's awful that Vista uses so much! But when you think about how cheap flash memory has gotten, is there really any argument?? I mean sure Vista wouldn't run on my old sony vaio with 256mb RAM, but XP will barely run that. If Vista had required RAM that was 100 bucks per 512, then I can understand some frustration. But with flash memory being so cheap I see little reason to flip out about it. But I shall read up on superfetch. Sounds interesting!

edit - So in short... Vista uses more RAM in general, however its useage of RAM is more efficient than older systems. So, you give some, you take some. You take some extra RAM, you give better efficiency. Ehh? Sounds cool. At least I didn't see any systems being pushed with 512mb RAM. That'd kinda **** me off. But with systems coming with at least 1 gig, like my laptop did, it runs decent. Now, to run GTA San Andreas shows a tad bit of lag at times when I blow up 9 cars at once, but other than that it seems smooth.

2gb (possibly 4) here I come!

Also turn off Indexing. That takes up a lot of resources. Some say DWM (Aero) takes up alot. But for me it uses less than explorer or a browser does.

Mak: don't they have an Nlite for Vista or some similar program??
Yes it is called vlite. Go figure.:laughing:
How do you turn off indexing? What does it do?
I can not remember off hand. But what it does is index your folder for searching purposes.

Maybe this will do it?

Code:
start-run and type services.msc-find windows search engine service in the list-rightclick it and select disable.

Not in Vista atm so i can not confirm how this is done.

Personally i haev not used it yet. But from what i hear it is almost exactly like nlite. I might grab it and check it out. But from what i hear you can do jsut about everythin with it as the version for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom