BIOS say i have 6GB of RAM, XP says 3GB...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhode2nowere

Baseband Member
i just bought 2x2GB sticks to accompany my 2x1GB sticks for my MSI P6N SLi motherboard. both sets are ddr2 800 and the Patriot brand. I've tried moving the sticks around, but all my other configurations stopped my computer from booting anything. Right now the working configuration for my Ram is the 2 1GB sticks in DIMM1&3, while the 2x2GB sticks are in DIMM2&4. i am wondering if this is crippling my performance. and if windows isn't using its full potential, then how can i make it?

If you have the 32bit XP, then what he said ^^. I don't believe it will hinder anything (i don't think) but the extra 3g of ram isn't going to be doing anything. If you upgrade to a 64bit version of XP you will be able to utilize it all.

i just bought 2x2GB sticks to accompany my 2x1GB sticks for my MSI P6N SLi motherboard. both sets are ddr2 800 and the Patriot brand. I've tried moving the sticks around, but all my other configurations stopped my computer from booting anything. Right now the working configuration for my Ram is the 2 1GB sticks in DIMM1&3, while the 2x2GB sticks are in DIMM2&4. i am wondering if this is crippling my performance. and if windows isn't using its full potential, then how can i make it?

Besides being 32bit XP. Might also check this link. MSI's supported memory list.
Not saying it won't work. But could be the reason.

http://global.msi.com.tw/uploads/test_report/TR10_1141.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom