Vinyl AC'97 audio driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Baseband Member
Hi there!
I have a laptop running XP SP2, which uses the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM). Its been running ok for 2 years now, but just lately 99% of the time when I boot up it fails to recognise the audio driver. In device manager it has the yellow warning icon against it, and when I click on properties i get 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. I've tried updating the driver using the update facility in device manager, but it makes no difference. I've searched other forums and there does seem to have been other people affected by this, but noone seems to have an answer for it. It sounds like some kind of conflict, but i'm really at a loss. I've tried uninstalling the driver and letting a re-boot add the hardware, it loads the driver ok, but device manager and 'volume control' still say there is no audio device. Very very occasionally when I boot up it DOES find the audio, and everything is fine until then next time i boot. Please can anyone help? regards, Fishy

I'm assuming its all onboard sound, but could there be a loose connection inside the case? it might explain the intermittent nature of the problem?

Try the new drivers?

Yes mate i have tried them, and they made no difference. something is happening during the boot up that is causing them not to load, but i can't figure out what it is. i've just tried re-installing XP but the problem still persists intermittently as before. Another 'symptom' at the moment is that in device manager there is sometimes no error message on the sound driver, but when open the volume control the system freezes.

When i log onto Windows using a certain user account, it will never ever load the sound drivers, but on another account it will only sometimes load them, is that significant?

UPDATE - some more info about my audio problem, if i do manage to get sound working (usually after a 'cold' boot up) it works for a short while, and then suddenly stops for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom