Better PC: What to improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I really think is that you want a more capable computer. And when you upgrade a thing here or there it won't give you the huge obvious upgrade in performance you're probably looking for.

What I would suggest is that you let us know what kind of budget you have, and we can suggest parts to build you a pc. Something I just don't trust about that guy you're dealing with. But i never liked computer salesmen either o_O

EDIT: There are some great suggestions in this thread. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/build-best-possible-computer-using-only-600-a-161522/

I'm on a rather low budget. I've got $200 of my own and whatever I can get out of selling my old parts and my parents (not selling my parents lol :p). Let's say for the sake of throwing a number that I have $500.

This guy is someone I trust, he's been dealing with my father for a long time and he's sold stuff to a lot of his friends and people I know, he wouldn't try to sell me junk (at least not knowing that it's junk).

And starting new, what else is to be changed? I'd be changing:
- Hard Drives
- Motherboard
- Processor
- Video Card
- RAM
- Case

My monitor is pretty good (flat screen, 1280x1024, great resolution), my Sound card sounds rather decent and does what I want it to do. I don't really care for keyboard and mouse, as long as they type and click I'm happy. So what else remains to be changed?

I'm on a rather low budget. I've got $200 of my own and whatever I can get out of selling my old parts and my parents (not selling my parents lol :p). Let's say for the sake of throwing a number that I have $500.

This guy is someone I trust, he's been dealing with my father for a long time and he's sold stuff to a lot of his friends and people I know, he wouldn't try to sell me junk (at least not knowing that it's junk).

And starting new, what else is to be changed? I'd be changing:
- Hard Drives
- Motherboard
- Processor
- Video Card
- RAM
- Case

My monitor is pretty good (flat screen, 1280x1024, great resolution), my Sound card sounds rather decent and does what I want it to do. I don't really care for keyboard and mouse, as long as they type and click I'm happy. So what else remains to be changed?

Probably a power supply, and no the PSU (Power supply) that come's with a case isn't going to cut it 99% of the time.

It'll be tight, but for $500 im pretty sure people will be able to build you something, since you don't need Mose/Keyboard/OS/Monitor etc etc.

$582 (A tad over what you want, but within reach)
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
MOBO: Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P3-N791-AR GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Heatsink: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

That's some nice upgrades, but bear in mind that those are things from the US and I'm in Uruguay here, that's why I didn't ask for specific models. The processor's nice, but isn't the one I wrote before also an Allendale and a better one? And the motherboard I think should do just fine. The RAM I would be getting is Samsung, there's no G.Skill around here. I'll ask him for that video card, I'm pretty sure he'll have one. Mmm, never thought about the PSU, what should I check in it to make sure it'll work fine? And also for the heatsink, what should I check in them to make sure they'll do the job?

EDIT: Oh, and the case is sort of custom made by this guy, so I'm sure it'll be a good one (I've seen his work, really good), so the parts will fit in nicely and the air will flow well.

EDIT 2: I'm not overclocking, so that's not one of the things I'm looking in a processor.

That's some nice upgrades, but bear in mind that those are things from the US and I'm in Uruguay here, that's why I didn't ask for specific models. The processor's nice, but isn't the one I wrote before also an Allendale and a better one? And the motherboard I think should do just fine. The RAM I would be getting is Samsung, there's no G.Skill around here. I'll ask him for that video card, I'm pretty sure he'll have one. Mmm, never thought about the PSU, what should I check in it to make sure it'll work fine? And also for the heatsink, what should I check in them to make sure they'll do the job?

EDIT: Oh, and the case is sort of custom made by this guy, so I'm sure it'll be a good one (I've seen his work, really good), so the parts will fit in nicely and the air will flow well.

EDIT 2: I'm not overclocking, so that's not one of the things I'm looking in a processor.

Ah, ic. Most people here end up OC'ing whether they want to or not (lol).

I also must have missed you mentioning you're from Uruguay, that does of course change things as im not sure what you have access to.

As for PSU's really they have all the options you could really want in most cases, so its down to brand choice. One of the favorites here is the Corsair, for being more powerful then listed and very reliable.

with that budget your going to want to overclock because you get much more performance....for free :)
its 99.9% safe if you don't go overboard with voltage

Garci, just to let you know things have changed in the last 15 months or so. Intel is very good and actually for the most part per GHZ Intel > AMD and Intels can get to very high Ghz. With your budget AMD is a good choice but I just thought I would let you know that.

Thanks dario, it's great to know. I had been looking for AMDs, but the guy that I may or may not be buying from doesn't stock Dual Core AMDs, so if I bought from him I'd have to get an Intel. I was scared that this might be a bad processor, but since nobody has told me it's junk so far (and if it were, they would) I can assume that it's a pretty good one. I have to call this guy today and ask if he stocks 8800s, after this call I'll let you know.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I talked to him yesterday about stock PSUs, he told me that he was aware that those that come with the case are no good, that he always puts a good PSU in the cases he makes.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I talked to him yesterday about stock PSUs, he told me that he was aware that those that come with the case are no good, that he always puts a good PSU in the cases he makes.

Yeah, as he should for a custom job, thats very nice saves you a few bucks im sure and gets you something decent.

I have been using a stock PSU for two years... works great!

If you can, I would HIGHLY recommend going AMD if you aren't overclocking and have that tight of a budget. That said, if you can't, that set up your salesman friend came up with is decent if you switched out the 8500 with an 8800 (in the BEST scenario, though very expensive) or maybe an ATI 3850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom