Samsung 226BW Panel Tech Q's +more

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC

Solid State Member
Hello there,

I hope this is the right place to post this, my apologies if it isn't.

I've been researching possible monitor options, and the samsung 226BW 22" monitor has been recommended by a friend, and by pretty much everyone I see talking about it online. I have some questions though.

No matter how hard I look I can't seem to find out what panel technology the 226BW uses. Is it a TN panel or S-PVA ? or something else? I really would like to know. I have a feeling it's a TN, but I'm not sure.

Also, it seems to be advertised everywhere as 3000:1 contrast ratio. I take it this is a DC ratio. I also take it that most monitors list a static contrast ratio (e.g. 700:1, or 1000:1)

Also, I read about a so called "panel lottery" stemming from the fact that there were/are different possible panel types you could end up with. S, A, or C. From what I read the S panel is the good one, and the A or C panels are inferior. This seemed to have started in the beginning of the year, and I'm wondering if it's stable now, and the quality of the panels being sent out in the 226BW are uniformly excellent.

Now I'm pretty tight with budget, and the price I can get the 226BW suites it well. But there's another monitor that I'm trying to compare it with.

Dell has, what I think is, a new monitor - the E248WFP. It's a 24" with inferior technology and less extras to their excellent, high quality 24" 2407WFP Ultrasharp model. It might be inferior to the Ultrasharp model, but it is also much cheaper.

The extra resolution would be a huge plus for me, but if the 226BW has much superior colour quality, then that might override it.

This is why I'm trying to find out the tech behind the 226BW to see if it's superior to the quality of the Dell e248WP.

I do a lot of graphics work so colour accuracy is important to me, but I realize that with a small budget I can't expect the best for that area.

I'm in Australia, if for some reason that's necessary to know.

I don't have the answer, but I'll tell you what I know

it seems nowadays the 226bw models are shipped w/o indication of S, A or C anymore

I've read a review somewhere that once fine-tuned, either A or C panels looks just as good as the S panel

Ok, so that's why I couldn't find the marking on my friends one.

Good to know they can be tuned up. thanks :]

Still hope someone can help me with the other questions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom