How much space to give windows xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronicSphinx

Beta member
I am going to install xp and vista how much space should i give each os. I am going to give the rest to games and other files. I have a 320gb hd.
Thanks

Vista will require at least 20GB. XP you can go with 10GB or more.

Don't partition your harddrive too small.

If you want to partition your harddrive solely for an operating system, I would not recommend it. But if you want to do that, give it at least 50gb each. Updates roll out and if you run out of space in that partition, you wont be able to successfully install any necessary updates and will cause you more trouble.

For a 320GB hard drive. Partition 120GB to the operating system and then the other 200GB for data, documents, music and those files. The 120gb partition will be for installed programs/softwares.

Like mine, I use my Raptor just for programs and my OS. The 320GB seagate is in 4 different partitions, Videos, Music, Documents, and Photos. 80GB each for photos, music and videos and 70 gb for documents cuz I also save .exe programs/softwares/games in there.

Don't partition your harddrive too small.

If you want to partition your harddrive solely for an operating system, I would not recommend it. But if you want to do that, give it at least 50gb each. Updates roll out and if you run out of space in that partition, you wont be able to successfully install any necessary updates and will cause you more trouble.

For a 320GB hard drive. Partition 120GB to the operating system and then the other 200GB for data, documents, music and those files. The 120gb partition will be for installed programs/softwares.

Like mine, I use my Raptor just for programs and my OS. The 320GB seagate is in 4 different partitions, Videos, Music, Documents, and Photos. 80GB each for photos, music and videos and 70 gb for documents cuz I also save .exe programs/softwares/games in there.

120 is overkill!!
XP does not need more than 8 gig space

on a 320gig drive, i'd give 20 max to the O/S and then have 300 left over for everything else, creating a nice folder structure on 1 partition so that you go crazy with say....videos, your only limited to the space of your hard drive.

i'm running 10gig for my C:\ right now and i have 1 gig left.
mind you I have a few other things besides the O/S on the C:\
application data (programs like to add crap here!)
drivers
games like to add their saved files to my documents (500MB for my Trackmania game...gah!)
some programs just don't listen (UT3 demo) and extract to the C temp before going to the specified drive

if i had the 74gig raptor i'd have 20 gig for my C:\

120 is overkill!!
XP does not need more than 8 gig space

on a 320gig drive, i'd give 20 max to the O/S and then have 300 left over for everything else, creating a nice folder structure on 1 partition so that you go crazy with say....videos, your only limited to the space of your hard drive.

i'm running 10gig for my C:\ right now and i have 1 gig left.
mind you I have a few other things besides the O/S on the C:\
application data (programs like to add crap here!)
drivers
games like to add their saved files to my documents (500MB for my Trackmania game...gah!)
some programs just don't listen (UT3 demo) and extract to the C temp before going to the specified drive

if i had the 74gig raptor i'd have 20 gig for my C:\

but don't forget there are some programs that require to be installed on the Windows XP Partition.... Like my printer software..

ya.. I'm just throwing out there, so he doesn't put like 2gb in there... believe me I've seen people who did that before...

yea i hate that.
i use a network printer, so i just need the driver and it's all good.

20gig though imo, still enough

LOL, 120GB is overkill? It's not like that your only putting the OS in there but games as well. So instead of having installed games on a different partition, you can put it with the OS and its better that way.

windows is automatically going to take 20GB from your harddrive...so you are going to be working with only 300GB

i think i used 30GB for windows on mine. my Dell laptop only has 30GB of total harddrive space...and its yet to run out of space with XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom