Overhaulin': MOBO/PSU/CPU/GPU/RAM (HEEELLPP!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
Well in light of a recent memory buying mistake, i've decided to go the route of upgrading my entire setup rather than maxing out my current one. Only problem is, it's been a long time since i've done this and I don't know what's good or what's worth the money.

CPU options:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Those are just what I ran into last night. At a time when the FX-57 was the best thing out, I bought a the San Diege and OC'd to faster than the 57. Are any of the ones lower than the 6400+ able to out perform it with OC'ing? I saw the quad core for only $200, couple bad reviews, worth buying? Also what's the difference between the first two??

PSU options:

Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, UL, FCC - Retail

Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

Newegg.com - Antec NeoPower 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick - Retail

Need enough power to fuel 2 SLI 8800GT's in the near future, not sure how much power that is.

Motherboard options:

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Whats the difference? Those looked most appealing to me.

As far as the GPU/RAM go, I can handle that part. Just have the find the deals when they happen.

Remember, keeping the cost as low as possible while getting almost the best stuff. Your additions WELCOME! Thanks guys.

The 5000+ has an unlocked multiplier thatll let it hit 3ghz+ depending on what board you get. The m2n-sli deluxe is a great board, i have the same board except without sli/firewire. I would get an am2+ mobo, and the 5000+ for now and wait till the b3 stepping phenoms come out in a fw months, as they will have the tlb bug fixed and smash the q6600. I have the 500w version of that psu, its good itll run two 8800gt's in sli with no problem.

I don't see any AM2+ mobo's with SLI support though, maybe i'm just missing something. Also i'm not looking to buy something just to buy something else when it comes out in a few months. I don't want to upgrade for another couple years.

If I knew there was a 6400+ Black edition, and that it was $5 cheaper then the 6000+ I just bought, id have purchased that instead. O well, thats what I get for not looking into the 6400+ series enough.

:(

I think you should go Intel... e6750 + Abit ip35 is around the same price as the 6400+ BE and that m2n sli deluxe, btw nice deal on that StealthXStream, really quiet PSU and got some decent 12v Amperage (on 4 rails)

well Intel has taken the performance crown at stock, and its killer when overclocked, but the AMD Windsors don't overclock well.... Apokalipse (hes a moderator here..) he get like 3.5ghz with a 6000+ with WATER COOLING

That's one of my choices in the first post lol.

What's wrong with overclocking amd? I had my 2.2 chip running stable at 2.9 for a long time. I don't know about switching to intel, I though AMD's gamed better?

Well, that was then, things have changed ;p Right now, those particular AMD processors don't OC so well, but the 5000+ Black Edition OC's like a mad man.

well Intel has taken the performance crown at stock, and its killer when overclocked, but the AMD Windsors don't overclock well.... Apokalipse (hes a moderator here..) he get like 3.5ghz with a 6000+ with WATER COOLING

That would be totally worth it to an AMD fanboy, and since i've already made my decision for AMD, that might be a route I take myself someday.

I've read that I can push it up to 3.2ghz with relative ease if I want, I don't see a need for it today, but someday im sure I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom