Little help on a cheap "get me by" CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
I had posted another thread earlier this week about upgrades, well I almost bought an AMD setup , but I received a lot of great advice about other options (mainly intel).

So what I am trying to do now is just drop another CPU in my socket 939 (AMD 64 3700+ Sandy in there now). For starters I am not a very good OCer in fact I tried to figure it out, and well I won't even bother my system runs 41 degrees idle stock and I doubt I need to try and tweak it.

So having said that, whats a cheap processor to drop in that would give me a good boost in gaming? I am going to look at intels in a few months.

Thanks for all the help guys, this forums is like the best place for advice.

whats ur budget? for 939, I'd recomend the x2 3800+ or x2 4200+ and if u can splurge for it the Opteron 165

whats ur budget? for 939, I'd recomend the x2 3800+ or x2 4200+ and if u can splurge for it the Opteron 165

I can splurge if I wanted to I guess, but really there are not any games recently that have given my setup any problems. I just wanted to add a little something to the CPU until I feel like getting a major upgrade and reassembling my computer.

I saw that the 3800+ is dirt cheap, but forgive me for my ignorance, is that going to be a bi improvement over a 3700 single core AMD? I have been told now twice that the x2 3800 is a good choice for now, until I go major and upgrade a lot more.

ya.. its a good choice.. but if you wanna overclock the x2 4200+ is better it limits at around 3.0ghz(i see that your not... don't worry I'll convince you eventually ;)) while the 3800+ limits at around 2.7ghz

ya.. its a good choice.. but if you wanna overclock the x2 4200+ is better it limits at around 3.0ghz(i see that your not... don't worry I'll convince you eventually ;)) while the 3800+ limits at around 2.7ghz

Well I am not against OCing, it's just I don't know how, I sort of peeked into bios, but I'd rather not have my system become disabled, in short it's not the time in my life to experiment with my only computer hehe.

And if the 3800 will give me noticeable improvement that's all I need then later in a few months I will buy a new mobo, CPU, RAM, and video card. It's just oblivion is running slow with all the mods I have now. So I want to iron that out as cheaply as possible.

if Oblivion is giving your PC a hard time, try out OldBlivion patch (google it) but it drops Oblivion to Dx8 and ti even plays on this system... xD

Ok you convincedme I will order the 4200, toldeo or Manchester? Also do I need diff ram I have PC 3200 at the moment

I still haven't figured out the difference between those.. lmao.. ask somebody else, as for that oldblvion heres the Site:

Oldblivion

Socket 939 requires ddr 266 ddr 300 or ddr400

Well without all the scripting running from big mods the game runs flawlessly. So I would rather not mess with Oldblivion, as I use a lot of mods. Ok though I will look to get one of those 4200 CPUs it looks like I can just pop it in my mobo and get a big increase in performance.

Ok I can't find teh Opteron 165 anywhere so I guess I would have to get a 175, I figured might as well spend an extra 50 bucks for something better lol.

Eh? Where the **** do you buy an opty 165, no one has them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom